Static on digital out after resuming from pause.
Hello,

I use the S/PDIF output on my sound card to output audio to my receiver. This works well, however if I pause and resume playback, the receiver switches to PCM mode and outputs loud static.

Seeking forward or backwards resolves this problem, and the receiver switches back to decoding the DD/DTS bitstream sent to it.

I'm using XBMC Live 9.04.1 on i686. My XBMC version is SVN 21846. The problem can be reproduced by playing a movie with a DTS or Dolby Digital soundtrack and pausing the playback. Static is heard when resuming playback.

My sound card is a SB Live! 5.1, using the snd-emu10k1 driver. The receiver is connected using coaxial S/PDIF from the card's digital output.

The files I am attempting to play are in MKV containers, x264 video codec, and either DTS or AC3 audio codec.

uname -a:
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Debug log:
http://www.pastebin.ca/1505345

Thank you for this excellent piece of software, this is the only glitch remaining in my setup.
I'm having the same issue, Static every time i hit pause/unpause also seems to static sometimes during the middle of a mp3. maybe during buffering? Im running a stereo 1/8" to rca into a sony tv, then out of there into a cheap sound system no digital anything
I assume this isn't a common problem with XBMC since there are very few threads about this and none seem to have any suggestions to fix it.

I'm using a SB Live! Value with digital IO board and also have either white noise or crackly sound after pausing. Doesn't seem to have been fixed with the new release either.
That's weird. What is your passthrough output set to?
ASRock ION 330
Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64 minimal install
xbmc from unstable ppa
Optical/Coax
Dolby Digital/DTS ticked
Audio output device: SB Live! Value [CT4670] iec958
Passthrough output device: SB Live! Value [CT4670] iec958
A little bit more info:
When playing the video my amp says Dolby Digital. When paused it stays the same.
When I resume the little "digital" symbol disappears then reappears but Dolby Digital changes to Stereo and I get no or hissy sound.

Files that have mp3/other sound just crackle, can make out the sound but it's not good.

Just tried the latest Live CD to see if it would make any difference and it's exactly the same.

My motherboard has a spdif output but I've never been able to get that working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Static on digital out after resuming from pause.0