XBMC newbie struggling with media types
Hi All,

I'm running XMBC 9.04.1 r20763M on Arch Linux. Most media types that I try and playback I either get no sound (mp3s) or if it's video a flickering green box instead of a picture. Is this just XMBC not supporting the media type, or, am I doing something wrong?

As an example:

file.mkv: Matroska data

The above plays fine, I get fullscreen video and Dolby Digital to my amp (passthrough) via SP/DIF

file.720p.hdtv.xvid.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 624 x 352, 23.98 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

The above gives a green flickering rectangle and no sound.

file.iso: UDF filesystem data

The above gives a fullscreen green flickering mess but with dolby surround (PL not DD / DTS)

The information about the files was obtained from running linux 'File' command.

The green box has some nonsensical text:

DurhatedKgo71532x m,UnilpsL89'bc- etc etc

Any pointers. The system will use mplayer fine to playback mp3 via the AMP, I just get silence when trying to use XMBC.

Many Thanks

Andrew
Try enabling debugging, playing those files, uploading the contents of xbmc.log to pastebin.com and posting the pastebin link here. That will provide much more information on what's happening with XBMC. Check my signature if you get stuck.
When posting about a problem please submit a debug log to give you the best chance at getting an answer. It's easy, painless, and helps provide necessary information.
In general XBMC plays about any file you throw at it so
something is wrong with your config. Arch Linux is not an oficially suported
platform, but i know there are a few users around this forum who runs it fine.

An easy way to test your system is to download the XBMC-Live iso
and boot it on your system - if that plays the same file fine then atleast you can rule out hardware issues.

And yeah a Debug Log from a session where you have the problem is probably
the best way.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I'd test the LiveCD out first to make sure the media was good. It played everything I had, so, it must have been an arch config. The LiveCD worked so well I just installed it in replace of Arch. It's a mediapc, I'm not going to spend time messing with it just to use one distro over another.

Thanks very much for the help.

Andrew
Remember to do a sudo apt-get update / sudo apt-get upgrade
to get a more recent svn version of xbmc Wink
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC newbie struggling with media types0