[WINDOWS] Visual Studio 2008 headache...
Hello all,

I've been testing XBMC on Windows for a couple of months now (in preparation for building my first HTPC), and I'm really happy with it. There are a few things I would prefer to see implemented differently though. So, rather than bug people with feature requests that are probably applicable to a very small group, I decided to dive in head first and try to code the features myself (I'm a computer science minor, and have taken a few basic classes while teaching myself some more advanced topics).

I downloaded the source from the SVN (https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...xport/XBMC),
and am running Visual Studio 2008 (MS Dreamspark) on a Windows 7 x64 machine.

Now, I followed the instructions on the wiki for setting project-specific directories, etc, and all seemed to be in order.

However, when I go to build the project, I get the following error:
Code:
error C2471: cannot update program database 'c:\users\*****\desktop\xbmc\project\vs2008express\xbmc\debug (directx)\vc90.pdb'
tied with:

Code:
fatal error C1083: Cannot open program database file: 'c:\users\*****\desktop\xbmc\project\vs2008express\guilib\debug (directx)\vc90.pdb': No such file or directory

This error occurs 529 times while trying to compile various files before everything stops. I checked the directory in the SVN folder and I'm baffled: the vc90.pdb file is right where Visual Studio says it's not.

I'm pretty new to VS; most programming I've done has been in either a text editor or a Java IDE, as my university is very partial to Java. This is also the first time I've dealt with a project of this magnitude. I hope this is something I can fix easily, because being able to add/change features would be a truly awesome skill.

If anyone has the time to read this and suggest anything that might help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, if this topic has already been addressed, I apologize; I've been reading through the forums for a few days now and have yet to make any headway on a solution.
first off you should REALLY not be doing this from your desktop, your filename/paths are probably exceeding 256 characters.

seconds i have been compiling all 4 branches now for quite some time and i still get warnings about vc70.pdb

libSQLite3_win32.lib(sqlite3.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not found with '../../xbmc/lib/sqLite/libSQLite3_win32.lib' or at 'k:\xbmc-win32\project\VS2008Express\XBMC\Release (SDL)\vc70.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info

at least 15 times, but they are warnings not errors.

Did you happen to actually read the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code which pretty well explains how to do this word for word.

Also did you make sure you installed the required deps? as in DXSDK and add the paths to your build enviroment? [starting at #5 on the wiki page]

if you answered no to any of the above, please do us all a favor and go to the wiki and follow the directions and then if you're still having issues come back and we or the devs would be more than happy to help you through your build problems.

Craig

and no I'm not a dev. Just a jerk.
Main Rig [Scorpius] - Core i7 2600k @ 5Ghz. 16 Gig DDR3 1600. 1x HD 6990 1x HD 4870 Hackintosh [Chiana] - Core i5 @ 3.8Ghz. 12 Gig DDR3 Linux [Moya] - Core2 Duo E8200 - 2 Gigs DDR2 800 WHS [Zhaan] - DualCore [email protected] - 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Jothee] Core2 Quad @ 2.8Ghz 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Aeryn] Core2 E8400 @ 3.0Ghz 2 Gigs DDR2 800 2TB Server [Talyn] Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz - 8 Gigs DDR2 1066 FileServer [Crichton] P4 650 3.4GHz - 2 Gigs DDR
You are speaking of different problems. pdb not found for various libs just means that some of the libraries are without debug information which is ok.

The first error about pdb not writable occurred to me too and was a VS bug. After patching it it works ok. Can't remember which fix is was but just search for it.
Manual solution would be to delete the pdb file if you unlock it first.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
so a reboot and deleting his pdb files should fix him up? that's easy Smile
Main Rig [Scorpius] - Core i7 2600k @ 5Ghz. 16 Gig DDR3 1600. 1x HD 6990 1x HD 4870 Hackintosh [Chiana] - Core i5 @ 3.8Ghz. 12 Gig DDR3 Linux [Moya] - Core2 Duo E8200 - 2 Gigs DDR2 800 WHS [Zhaan] - DualCore [email protected] - 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Jothee] Core2 Quad @ 2.8Ghz 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Aeryn] Core2 E8400 @ 3.0Ghz 2 Gigs DDR2 800 2TB Server [Talyn] Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz - 8 Gigs DDR2 1066 FileServer [Crichton] P4 650 3.4GHz - 2 Gigs DDR
Also: Don't try and play with the DirectX build as you are - it's not ready for people who are not familiar with resolving problems with the build environment. Stick to the SDL build.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Yes, I did read the wiki and follow the steps outlined (including the SDK section); that's how I initially arrived at the problem

Luckily, I have managed to solve most of my issues! First, I changed working directories to C:\XBMC. I did not know about the character limit, and while I don't think I had paths near that length, it's better to err on the side of caution.

I then searched for and found the hotfix that WiSo mentioned, which cleared up all of the v90.pdb problems.

Here is the link for anyone having similar problems:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStud...wsignin1.0

Upon further inspection of the wiki article, I found that this hotfix is referenced under the "Running/Debugging XBMC from Visual C++ Express 2008" section. I'd suggest moving it to the "Compiling XBMC using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition" Section, since it seems to be an essential step when using VS2008.

As of now, I am down to several small errors involving SDL_HAT_*, where * is a direction, in the ButtonTranslator.cpp file. I must leave for work, so I can't address these errors now, but they definitely look separate from my original issue.

So thank you very much for the suggestions, they stepped me in the right direction and now I feel that I can begin to try and help develop this software!
Very likely you're doing a directx build, which atm is the default in the visual studio file, set it to SDL.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Visual Studio 2008 headache...0