• 3(current)
[MAC] HOW-TO setup Logitech Harmony Remote for use with XBMC for Mac OS X
Not sure if this will help at all but here is the info on my receiver as my MacMini sees it.

Code:
eHome Infrared Transceiver:

Product ID:    0x0001
  Vendor ID:    0x1784  (TopSeed Technology Corp.)
  Version:    0.00
  Serial Number:    TS000IFl
  Speed:    Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:    Topseed
  Location ID:    0x5b120000
  Current Available (mA):    500
  Current Required (mA):    100
My remote is working, but certain commands are not working properly... for instance play/pause/ff/rew don't do what they are suppose to do, as well as Exit, Info, and Back. Is this keymap suppose to have all those functions working? If so, what am I doing wrong?

I have the current svn build, and I followed the instructions on the first page. I assumed all the XBMChelper stuff was not needed, since my build is recent...

I would appreciate any help!

EDIT: Nevermind, figured out! Thank you to all that was involved creating this Big Grin
I love my Mac Mini :;):
I just want to add that this made my day... I can't believe how awesome this is Big Grin
UnisonRuss Wrote:EDIT: Nevermind, figured out! Thank you to all that was involved creating this Big Grin
mind posting what helped?

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Sure Smile

I still had system settings (remote) set to "Standard" as described in the tutorial. When in standard, the advanced functions of play/stop, exit/back, etc. didn't work. I went back into settings for the hell of it and switched from "Standard" to "Multi (Harmony)" and bam! Everything works like it did with Plex. I can now make XBMC my default media center, which makes me very happy Big Grin

And now to fins a skin to settle with :lol:
OK now I'm having a problem...

I tried to install a new skin (Rapier), and it kept crashing XBMC. So, I removed that skin, but that confused it even more. I had to rename another skin Rapier to trick XBMC to boot at all. Once XBMC opened up, I changed the skin again, while renaming the other skin back to it's original name (confused yet?)

Now the remote no longer works!

[FIXED] I figured out Plex was conflicting with the harmony...I deleted all traces of it and rebooted my mac, and now it works great again Smile

I moved XBMC to the trash, emptied it, and restarted my mac. I then re-installed XBMC (latest svn build) and open it, and the remote still didn't work. I thin re-downloaded the keymap, and put it in the proper directory. The remote still doesn't work!

Please help me! Does it have something to do with XBMC helper? How do I fix this?

Thank you for any answers Smile
MaestroDD,

Should I create a Trac Ticket for this? I wasn't sure if that would be more proper (or more annoying)

MaestroDD Wrote:Hi Lordfoul,

thanks for the report!

Looks like that IR receiver isn't picked up by XBMCHelper. It crashes because it can't initialize the remote. There'll be a new version of XBMCHelper soon, which might fix that.

cheers,
mdd
lordfoul Wrote:MaestroDD,

Should I create a Trac Ticket for this? I wasn't sure if that would be more proper (or more annoying)

always good so it doesn't get lost. Thanks!

Already tried the new XBMCHelper (svn rev >=23931)?

cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
I am on a PPC, So I can't use the existing compiled SVNs, I have tried compiling before but it never works. Is there a way I can just get the latest XBMCHelper file to test?

Sorry for being helpless.

MaestroDD Wrote:always good so it doesn't get lost. Thanks!

Already tried the new XBMCHelper (svn rev >=23931)?

cheers,
mdd
lordfoul Wrote:I am on a PPC, So I can't use the existing compiled SVNs, I have tried compiling before but it never works. Is there a way I can just get the latest XBMCHelper file to test?

The XBMCHelper binary should be a universal binary, so you can just grab it from one of the nightly builds.

On the other hand, building XBMCHelper should be straight forward, as there are no dependencies. Once you've checked out XBMC, open XBMCHelper's xcodeproject ($(XBMC_SOURCE)/tools/EventClients/Clients/OSXRemote/XBMCHelper.xcodeproj/) and hit build. The binary is then located in $(XBMC_SOURCE)/tools/osx/XBMCHelper.

HTH,
mdd

lordfoul Wrote:I am on a PPC, So I can't use the existing compiled SVNs, I have tried compiling before but it never works. Is there a way I can just get the latest XBMCHelper file to test?

I think this should solve your problem, it did for me, the important changes are in joystick.AppleRemote.xml which is located in: Applications/XBMC/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/keymaps/

This works with the Apple Remote and my Harmony which is setup for the AppleTV.

It obviously doesn't do everything you can do on the mac using the keyboard but for the AppleTV, it is way better than the original settings.

Hope it helps

Code:
<!-- This file contains the mapping of keys (gamepad, remote, and keyboard) to actions within XBMC -->
<!-- The <global> section is a fall through - they will only be used if the button is not          -->
<!-- used in the current window's section.  Note that there is only handling                       -->
<!-- for a single action per button at this stage.                                                 -->
<!-- For joystick/gamepad configuration under linux/win32, see below as it differs from xbox       -->
<!-- gamepads.                                                                                     -->

<!-- The format is:                      -->
<!--    <device>                         -->
<!--      <button>action</button>        -->
<!--    </device>                        -->

<!-- To map keys from other remotes using the RCA protocol, you may add <universalremote> blocks -->
<!-- In this case, the tags used are <obc#> where # is the original button code (OBC) of the key -->
<!-- You set it up by adding a <universalremote> block to the window or <global> section:       -->
<!--    <universalremote>             -->
<!--       <obc45>Stop</obc45>         -->
<!--    </universalremote>            -->
<!-- To find out the OBC's of your remote, try enabling the <displayremotecodes> tag in AdvancedSettings.xml -->

<!-- Note that the action can be a built-in function.                 -->
<!--  eg <B>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</B>                         -->
<!-- would automatically go to My Music on the press of the B button. -->

<!-- Joysticks / Gamepads:                                                                    -->
<!--   See the sample PS3 controller configuration below for the format.                      -->
<!--                                                                                          -->
<!--  Joystick Name:                                                                          -->
<!--   Do 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices' or see your xbmc log file  to find the names of       -->
<!--   detected joysticks. The name used in the configuration should match the detected name. -->
<!--                                                                                          -->
<!--  Button Ids:                                                                             -->
<!--   'id' is the button ID used by SDL. Joystick button ids of connected joysticks appear   -->
<!--   in xbmc.log when they are pressed. Use your log to map custom buttons to actions.      -->
<!--  Axis Ids / Analog Controls                                                              -->
<!--   Coming soon.                                                                           -->
<keymap>
  <global>
    <joystick name="AppleRemote">
      <!-- plus       -->      <button id="1">Up</button>
      <!-- minus      -->      <button id="2">Down</button>
      <!-- left       -->      <button id="3">Left</button>
      <!-- right      -->      <button id="4">Right</button>
      <!-- play/pause -->      <button id="5">Select</button>
      <!-- menu       -->      <button id="6">PreviousMenu</button>
      <!-- hold play  -->      <button id="7">Fullscreen</button>
      <!-- hold menu  -->      <button id="8">ContextMenu</button>
      <!-- old buttons for ATV <2.2, used on OSX  -->
      <!-- hold left  -->      <button id="9">Left</button>
      <!-- hold right -->      <button id="10">Right</button>
      <!-- Learned remote buttons (ATV >2.3) -->
      <!-- Play -->      <button id="70">Play</button>
      <!-- Pause -->      <button id="71">Pause</button>
      <!-- Stop -->      <button id="72">Stop</button>
      <!-- Previous -->      <button id="73">SkipPrevious</button>
      <!-- Next -->      <button id="74">SkipNext</button>
      <!-- Rewind -->      <button id="75">Rewind</button>
      <!-- Forward -->      <button id="76">FastForward</button>
      <!-- Return -->      <button id="77">OSD</button>
      <!-- Enter -->      <button id="78">ShowVideoMenu</button>
    </joystick>
  </global>
  <Home>
      <button id="6">Fullscreen</button>
    </joystick>
  </Home>
  <MyMusicPlaylist>
      <button id="6">Playlist</button>
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicPlaylist>
  <MyMusicPlaylistEditor>
      <button id="5">ContextMenu</button>  <!-- FIXME? -->
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicPlaylistEditor>
  <MyMusicFiles>
      <button id="6">ParentDir</button>
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicFiles>
  <MyMusicLibrary>
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicLibrary>
  <FullscreenVideo>
<!-- hold Plus --> <button id="1">BigStepForward</button>
<!-- hold Minus --> <button id="2">BigStepBack</button>
<!-- Left --> <button id="3">SmallStepBack</button>
<!-- Right --> <button id="4">StepForward</button>
<!-- Play --> <button id="5">Pause</button>
<!-- Menu --> <button id="6">OSD</button>
<!-- hold play --> <button id="7">Stop</button>
<!-- hold menu --> <button id="8">Info</button>
    </joystick>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <FullscreenInfo>
      <button id="6">Close</button>
    </joystick>
  </FullscreenInfo>
  <PlayerControls>
    </joystick>
  </PlayerControls>
  <Visualisation>
      <button id="1">VolumeUp</button>
      <button id="2">VolumeDown</button>
      <button id="3">SkipPrevious</button>
      <button id="4">SkipNext</button>
      <button id="5">XBMC.ActivateWindow(MusicOSD)</button>
    </joystick>
  </Visualisation>
  <MusicOSD>
    </joystick>
  </MusicOSD>
  <VisualisationSettings>
    </joystick>
  </VisualisationSettings>
  <VisualisationPresetList>
    </joystick>
  </VisualisationPresetList>
  <SlideShow>
      <button id="1">ZoomIn</button>
      <button id="2">ZoomOut</button>
      <button id="3">PreviousPicture</button>
      <button id="4">NextPicture</button>
      <button id="5">Pause</button>
      <button id="6">Stop</button>
      <!-- hold menu  --> <button id="8">Rotate</button>
    </joystick>
  </SlideShow>
  <ScreenCalibration>
      <button id="5">NextCalibration</button>
    </joystick>
  </ScreenCalibration>
  <SelectDialog>
    </joystick>
  </SelectDialog>
  <VideoOSD>
    </joystick>
  </VideoOSD>
  <VideoMenu>
      <button id="5">OSD</button>
    </joystick>
  </VideoMenu>
  <OSDVideoSettings>
    </joystick>
  </OSDVideoSettings>
  <OSDAudioSettings>
    </joystick>
  </OSDAudioSettings>
  <VideoBookmarks>
    </joystick>
  </VideoBookmarks>
  <MyVideoLibrary>
    </joystick>
  </MyVideoLibrary>
  <MyVideoFiles>
    </joystick>
  </MyVideoFiles>
  <MyVideoPlaylist>
    </joystick>
  </MyVideoPlaylist>
  <VirtualKeyboard>
    </joystick>
  </VirtualKeyboard>
  <ContextMenu>
    </joystick>
  </ContextMenu>
  <FileStackingDialog>
    </joystick>
  </FileStackingDialog>
  <MusicInformation>
    </joystick>
  </MusicInformation>
  <MovieInformation>
    </joystick>
  </MovieInformation>
  <PictureInfo>
      <button id="3">Left</button>
      <button id="4">Right</button>
    </joystick>
  </PictureInfo>
</keymap>

MacMini 2.3gHz i7, OS X 10.13.6
Running Kodi 18.9
jpf55 Wrote:I think this should solve your problem, it did for me, the important changes are in joystick.AppleRemote.xml which is located in: Applications/XBMC/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/keymaps/

It obviously doesn't do everything you can do on the mac using the keyboard but for the AppleTV, it is way better than the original settings.

Hope it helps

absolutely awesome keymapping!

thanks a bunch Smile

cheers,

jason.
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
I just Tried XBMCHelper from the latest SVN. The good news is it no longer crashes. The bad news is XBMC still doesn't respond to my remote.

MaestroDD Wrote:The XBMCHelper binary should be a universal binary, so you can just grab it from one of the nightly builds.

On the other hand, building XBMCHelper should be straight forward, as there are no dependencies. Once you've checked out XBMC, open XBMCHelper's xcodeproject ($(XBMC_SOURCE)/tools/EventClients/Clients/OSXRemote/XBMCHelper.xcodeproj/) and hit build. The binary is then located in $(XBMC_SOURCE)/tools/osx/XBMCHelper.

HTH,
mdd
That looks like a great option. Unfortunately the only way I have been able to get my remote/reciever to work at all is by using Mira http://twistedmelon.com/mira/ which only gives me 6 keys.

jpf55 Wrote:I think this should solve your problem, it did for me, the important changes are in joystick.AppleRemote.xml which is located in: Applications/XBMC/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/keymaps/

Hope it helps

Code:
<!-- This file contains the mapping of keys (gamepad, remote, and keyboard) to actions within XBMC -->
<!-- The <global> section is a fall through - they will only be used if the button is not          -->
<!-- used in the current window's section.  Note that there is only handling                       -->
<!-- for a single action per button at this stage.                                                 -->
<!-- For joystick/gamepad configuration under linux/win32, see below as it differs from xbox       -->
<!-- gamepads.                                                                                     -->

<!-- The format is:                      -->
<!--    <device>                         -->
<!--      <button>action</button>        -->
<!--    </device>                        -->

<!-- To map keys from other remotes using the RCA protocol, you may add <universalremote> blocks -->
<!-- In this case, the tags used are <obc#> where # is the original button code (OBC) of the key -->
<!-- You set it up by adding a <universalremote> block to the window or <global> section:       -->
<!--    <universalremote>             -->
<!--       <obc45>Stop</obc45>         -->
<!--    </universalremote>            -->
<!-- To find out the OBC's of your remote, try enabling the <displayremotecodes> tag in AdvancedSettings.xml -->

<!-- Note that the action can be a built-in function.                 -->
<!--  eg <B>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</B>                         -->
<!-- would automatically go to My Music on the press of the B button. -->

<!-- Joysticks / Gamepads:                                                                    -->
<!--   See the sample PS3 controller configuration below for the format.                      -->
<!--  Joystick Name:                                                                          -->
<!--   Do 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices' or see your xbmc log file  to find the names of       -->
<!--   detected joysticks. The name used in the configuration should match the detected name. -->
<!--  Button Ids:                                                                             -->
<!--   'id' is the button ID used by SDL. Joystick button ids of connected joysticks appear   -->
<!--   in xbmc.log when they are pressed. Use your log to map custom buttons to actions.      -->
<!--  Axis Ids / Analog Controls                                                              -->
<!--   Coming soon.                                                                           -->
<keymap>
  <global>
      <!-- plus       -->      <button id="1">Up</button>
      <!-- minus      -->      <button id="2">Down</button>
      <!-- left       -->      <button id="3">Left</button>
      <!-- right      -->      <button id="4">Right</button>
      <!-- play/pause -->      <button id="5">Select</button>
      <!-- menu       -->      <button id="6">PreviousMenu</button>
      <!-- hold play  -->      <button id="7">Fullscreen</button>
      <!-- hold menu  -->      <button id="8">ContextMenu</button>
      <!-- old buttons for ATV <2.2, used on OSX  -->
      <!-- hold left  -->      <button id="9">Left</button>
      <!-- hold right -->      <button id="10">Right</button>
      <!-- Learned remote buttons (ATV >2.3) -->
      <!-- Play -->      <button id="70">Play</button>
      <!-- Pause -->      <button id="71">Pause</button>
      <!-- Stop -->      <button id="72">Stop</button>
      <!-- Previous -->      <button id="73">SkipPrevious</button>
      <!-- Next -->      <button id="74">SkipNext</button>
      <!-- Rewind -->      <button id="75">Rewind</button>
      <!-- Forward -->      <button id="76">FastForward</button>
      <!-- Return -->      <button id="77">OSD</button>
      <!-- Enter -->      <button id="78">ShowVideoMenu</button>
    </joystick>
  </global>
  <Home>
    </joystick>
  </Home>
  <MyMusicPlaylist>
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicPlaylist>
  <MyMusicPlaylistEditor>
      <button id="5">ContextMenu</button>  <!-- FIXME? -->
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicPlaylistEditor>
  <MyMusicFiles>
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicFiles>
  <MyMusicLibrary>
    </joystick>
  </MyMusicLibrary>
  <FullscreenVideo>
<!-- hold Plus --> <button id="1">BigStepForward</button>
<!-- hold Minus --> <button id="2">BigStepBack</button>
<!-- Left --> <button id="3">SmallStepBack</button>
<!-- Right --> <button id="4">StepForward</button>
<!-- Play --> <button id="5">Pause</button>
<!-- Menu --> <button id="6">OSD</button>
<!-- hold play --> <button id="7">Stop</button>
<!-- hold menu --> <button id="8">Info</button>
    </joystick>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <FullscreenInfo>
    </joystick>
  </FullscreenInfo>
  <PlayerControls>
    </joystick>
  </PlayerControls>
  <Visualisation>
      <button id="1">VolumeUp</button>
      <button id="2">VolumeDown</button>
      <button id="3">SkipPrevious</button>
      <button id="4">SkipNext</button>
      <button id="5">XBMC.ActivateWindow(MusicOSD)</button>
    </joystick>
  </Visualisation>
  <MusicOSD>
    </joystick>
  </MusicOSD>
  <VisualisationSettings>
    </joystick>
  </VisualisationSettings>
  <VisualisationPresetList>
    </joystick>
  </VisualisationPresetList>
  <SlideShow>
      <button id="1">ZoomIn</button>
      <button id="2">ZoomOut</button>
      <button id="3">PreviousPicture</button>
      <button id="4">NextPicture</button>
      <button id="5">Pause</button>
      <button id="6">Stop</button>
      <!-- hold menu  --> <button id="8">Rotate</button>
    </joystick>
  </SlideShow>
  <ScreenCalibration>
      <button id="5">NextCalibration</button>
    </joystick>
  </ScreenCalibration>
  <SelectDialog>
    </joystick>
  </SelectDialog>
  <VideoOSD>
    </joystick>
  </VideoOSD>
  <VideoMenu>
      <button id="5">OSD</button>
    </joystick>
  </VideoMenu>
  <OSDVideoSettings>
    </joystick>
  </OSDVideoSettings>
  <OSDAudioSettings>
    </joystick>
  </OSDAudioSettings>
  <VideoBookmarks>
    </joystick>
  </VideoBookmarks>
  <MyVideoLibrary>
    </joystick>
  </MyVideoLibrary>
  <MyVideoFiles>
    </joystick>
  </MyVideoFiles>
  <MyVideoPlaylist>
    </joystick>
  </MyVideoPlaylist>
  <VirtualKeyboard>
    </joystick>
  </VirtualKeyboard>
  <ContextMenu>
    </joystick>
  </ContextMenu>
  <FileStackingDialog>
    </joystick>
  </FileStackingDialog>
  <MusicInformation>
    </joystick>
  </MusicInformation>
  <MovieInformation>
    </joystick>
  </MovieInformation>
  <PictureInfo>
      <button id="3">Left</button>
      <button id="4">Right</button>
    </joystick>
  </PictureInfo>
</keymap>
lordfoul Wrote:I just Tried XBMCHelper from the latest SVN. The good news is it no longer crashes. The bad news is XBMC still doesn't respond to my remote.

Hm, okay. Would you mind opening a trac ticket and post output of XBMCHelper's startup? (just do $(PATH_TO_HELPER)/XBMCHelper -v)

cheers,
mdd

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] HOW-TO setup Logitech Harmony Remote for use with XBMC for Mac OS X1