• 10(current)
Multiple videos in a Matroska MKV container with Ordered Chapters / Segment Linking?
It's possible, the Matroska specification apparently allows for it (and menus too). However few players support it which is honestly a real shame for all of the reasons that I and others have posted in this thread. There are also not many tools for making such MKV so it's a sort of chicken and egg issue anyway - if this has changed I'm all ears. there was one tool that was a little clunky awhile back but I've lost track of it and it's certainly not seemed to catch on Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I know it sucks to hear this over and over again, but as already mentioned, no one in the team has currently an interest in adding this (most likely because none of the devs is watching this sort of video). This doesn't mean though, that we're against adding this feature and that others are not welcome to work on it. Every team dev became such, because he was passionate about improving XBMCs code base and submitting pull requests for bugfixes or features he was interested in and at some point he was ask to join the team. So every team member has a special interrest and one or only a few areas of expertise within the codebase (with few exceptions like jmarshall). So if there is somebody out there interested in this feature and has some C++ knowledge (or is willing to learn), be our guest and don't hesitate to ask technical stuff in case you're stuck in the code base.
mplayer2 and mpv already support segment link in mkv

vlc too but have problems
This is not very important functionality. Sometimes I use it to store multiple video tracks containing various 3d and also 2d format. So the same movie can be played on 3D hardware (over-under), without specific 3d hardware as anaglyph or as 2D by choosing 2D video track - without any 3d support.

But I agree it's not common usage scenario. Also we can store multiple video tracks with hd and sd resolutions to play sd on low performance machines.
+1
Sometimes I want to have different video/audio formats in the same MKV file. As it is now XBMC will choose the default track of the first chapter and then, when second chapter has a different audio format, it will play silence...

Examples:
* DTS Blu-Ray Music Demo Discs where each song is a different .M2TS with different video and audio properties.
* Extra materials (movie clips or songs) added as extra chapters/titles at the end of a movie - often having a different type of audio track than the main movie/concert.
Truly what I see this best for is emulating the way BluRay does multiple cuts in a single disk without duplicating the entire movie simply by slipping in different pieces at strategic cut points. Apparently the Anime guys use it to cut down on storage by only storing the opening and closing credit pieces of various episodes once. I haven't ever heard of a scenario for both 3D and 2D but that too makes sense as does different audio tracks although that seems like the least used scenario. I do tend to store both Direcot rand Main audio tracks with the Main being the default but they've never differed chapter to chapter before for me. <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
What a shame, I was really hoping to find some good news at the end of this thread Sad

Glad to see BLKMGK has not lost his passion for this feature. (4 years+)?

Hopefully, somebody with the right skills will pick up the torch soon.
Does the upstream FFmpeg or Libav projects support any of these "segment linking" features for Matroska MKV containers?

https://www.ffmpeg.org
https://libav.org

As usually if and when FFmpeg or Libav have added support for a codec or container handling feature then Kodi can add it.
No they don't, ffmpeg had the view that the feature was a security risk.
Hasn't this gone out of practice in the anime scene anyway? I've noticed that the majority of anime have slightly unique OPs and EDs for each episode these days, so this stupid feat of anime encoder geekery has gone out of favor.
In our case it would be far from stupid. It would allow you to basically have multiple versions of a same movie in a single file, or even set of files, who's sum total size would be less than ripping a movie multiple times. It wold emulate the branching that Bluray already do to conserve disk space...
(2015-01-29, 19:47)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Hasn't this gone out of practice in the anime scene anyway?

Unfortunately no...Sad
Hi everyone,

Garret did a really good job on making this work for most releases under *NIX operating systems,

he script doesn't work on Windows. I have a pull request in right now to have that fixed but I've actually written a GUI around it which hopefully will make it easier for everyone, including Windows users. As far as I'm aware, it works on most releases including most of Coalgirl's.

You can see my blog post on it here: http://vaughanhilts.me/blog/2015/04/30/u...linux.html

The GitHub page is here: https://github.com/hilts-vaughan/UnlinkMKV-GUI

Hope this helps some people! Smile
* Garret
(2015-04-30, 22:48)garretn Wrote: * Garret

Fixed. Smile
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple videos in a Matroska MKV container with Ordered Chapters / Segment Linking?4