Smartmontools on XBMC?
Question 
Hi,

It could be useful to have a little S.M.A.R.T info (for my internal and external drives) into the System info screen in XBMC Is it possible using smartmontools? I've successfuly instaled sensors package and i can get CPU and CPU temp in XBMC, so i'm wondering if i can do the same using smartmontools...

thanks in advance,
This seems something better suited to a web interface (whereby you can just do it outside of XBMC) rather than something that belongs inside a media center.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Question 
Well, the same way that it's interesting to know the temperatures, it's also useful to know your hard disks health status. Isn't it? if you have a big storage unit, with a lot of movies, music, etc, it could be very useful to check from inside XBMC the S.M.A.R.T status of those disks. It should be very simple, because in the same way that you can parse the output of a external command to display the CPU temp in XBMC, i though that this can also be done with smartmontools to display some data into XBMC system info... Using advancedsettings.xml also... You don't need to create new functions in XBMC, just a custom label to display the info from a user customized external tool...

what do you think?

regards,
Why would that be interesting? Do you check it every day? Note that I see no point whatsoever in reading the temperature of the CPU or GPU from XBMC either!

Seems like it's something a python script can handle in any case.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, thanks jmarshall...
I agree. I would also like to see my harddrive status where I can see the CPU and GPU temps. It's nice to see the health of your htpc, without the need for a keyboard.
Yes I like the idea.Nod
Just a little label informing the overall status of every disk.
Any python expert around ?Big Grin
Hmmm... it seems that at last, this could be a useful adition.... hahaha

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smartmontools on XBMC?0