LTSP XBMC and XVideo extension
I have a small LTSP server with ubuntu, i can see films a listen music on a thinclient connected.

For video it's needed Xvideo extension (XV) supported by mplayer or vlc, for reduce bandwith trasmission (i think).

I have try to make an htpc-thinclient and install on my ltsp server xbmc, but go very very very slow!! I speak of gui (frontend) i don't konw how go video playback, because i can't start video for unusablity of interface.

On server xbmc go very well without any problems.

Anyone have try xbmc on ltsp or is there some method for start in xvideo extension mode?!

thanks!

(sorry for may bad english)
we don't use that outdated extension
muttley:bd Wrote:I have a small LTSP server with ubuntu, i can see films a listen music on a thinclient connected.

For video it's needed Xvideo extension (XV) supported by mplayer or vlc, for reduce bandwith trasmission (i think).

I have try to make an htpc-thinclient and install on my ltsp server xbmc, but go very very very slow!! I speak of gui (frontend) i don't konw how go video playback, because i can't start video for unusablity of interface.

On server xbmc go very well without any problems.

Anyone have try xbmc on ltsp or is there some method for start in xvideo extension mode?!

thanks!

(sorry for may bad english)

since the thin-client is actually booting an image and running natively, you shouldn't have any problems.. if your front-end is slow it's probably not utilizing opengl so make sure your video driver is right for the hardware on the thin client.
mhhh...my server support opengl!

also the thinclient, but i think this is not important, because thinclient and server use xdmcp protcol...and the real work is made by server.
the thinclient only (re)draw the scren...but with xbmc it's not enought speedy ( i think ).

Quote:since the thin-client is actually booting an image and running natively, you shouldn't have any problems..

don't understand...No

my thinclient get image of minimal s.o. from ltsp server with tftp, boot this and open a "window" (through xdmcp) on server.

i can't make playback from thinclient, it's an old machine.
This isn't going to work right for a number of reasons.
You need a thin client with opengl hardware acceleration, and quite a new version of opengl if you want it to work right.

Using XBMC with xdmcp will require more powerful hardware than running it locally.
muttley:bd Wrote:mhhh...my server support opengl!

also the thinclient, but i think this is not important, because thinclient and server use xdmcp protcol...and the real work is made by server.
the thinclient only (re)draw the scren...but with xbmc it's not enought speedy ( i think ).

don't understand...No

my thinclient get image of minimal s.o. from ltsp server with tftp, boot this and open a "window" (through xdmcp) on server.

i can't make playback from thinclient, it's an old machine.

it's not the server hardware you need to worry about... the server is just "serving" the image to the thin client... the thin client hardware is what needs opengl support...
bobo1on1 Wrote:This isn't going to work right for a number of reasons.
You need a thin client with opengl hardware acceleration, and quite a new version of opengl if you want it to work right.

Using XBMC with xdmcp will require more powerful hardware than running it locally.

The way this WILL work is actually booting an image via LTSP or other means... it will work... linuxmce has been doing it for quite some time booting into their level 2 or level 3 interface which utilizes opengl... LTSP can be configured to run apps on the server or locally... but I am a little confused about xdmcp now... would have to set it up the way linuxmce does it so there MAY be a limitation if using LTSP...

think of it as a hard drive over ethernet..... you're running ubuntu/xbmc locally on the thin(thick)-client hardware..
Quote:You need a thin client with opengl hardware acceleration, and quite a new version of opengl if you want it to work right.

Nvidia tnt (support opengl) on p2 350 Mhz...how can run my thinclient without xdmcp?!?!? Eek

Quote:you're running ubuntu/xbmc locally on the thin(thick)-client hardware..

i don't run xbmc locally! my LTSP serve run xbmc and make decoding and send me image...how can set my server "send me opengl"?!

In vlc just set xvideo and all go ok...also in mplayer. If i don't say nothing to my application (xbmc in this case) use xdmcp for default...i think

with:
glxinfo | grep -i direct
i get:
direct rendering: Yes

on my thin client
muttley:bd Wrote:ati x300 (support opengl) on p2 350 Mhz...how can run my thinclient without xdmcp?!?!? Eek

i don't run xbmc locally! my LTSP serve run xbmc and make decoding and send me image...how can set my server "send me opengl"?!

In vlc just set xvideo and all go ok...also in mplayer. If i don't say nothing to my application (xbmc in this case) use xdmcp for default...i think

with:
glxinfo | grep -i direct
i get:

on my thin client

actually if done in the method that linuxmce uses, you ARE running the applications locally (thin-client) and the images are just hosted on the server... this is what you will have to do... I may try to play around with this at home as I already have a linux server setup that handles dhcp/nfs/pxe...
muttley:bd Wrote:Nvidia tnt (support opengl) on p2 350 Mhz...how can run my thinclient without xdmcp?!?!? Eek

with:
glxinfo | grep -i direct
i get:

on my thin client

you misunderstood me... I didn't mean YOU were... I meant when setup the right way xbmc SHOULD be utilizing the thin-client hardware and not the server hardware..
With LTSP you are connecting to a remote x session... that's not going to work.. you need to boot the image from the server and in essence you will be running ubuntu/xbmc ON the thin client hardware...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto

This really isn't considered a thin-client... but cool nonetheless.. it's what I'm doing with geexbox already in the kids bedrooms....

From the above link:
Quote:How is this different than ThinClientHowto?

Thin clients use some of the same principals but they also connect to a remote X session, which means everything runs on the remote server, all applications will consume the servers resources, such as RAM and CPU cycles.

Diskless Booting simply uses the remote server for storage and still runs all applications on the local client station. This works better if you have full powered PC's to work with, and are working with a large number of clients that would require too much CPU and RAM to run all their applications on one server.

It is different enough to have multiple machines mounting the same root filesystem as opposed to simply being a remote monitor and keyboard to warrant a separate how-to I think.
rrambo Wrote:The way this WILL work is actually booting an image via LTSP or other means... it will work... linuxmce has been doing it for quite some time booting into their level 2 or level 3 interface which utilizes opengl... LTSP can be configured to run apps on the server or locally... but I am a little confused about xdmcp now... would have to set it up the way linuxmce does it so there MAY be a limitation if using LTSP...

think of it as a hard drive over ethernet..... you're running ubuntu/xbmc locally on the thin(thick)-client hardware..

Well yeah that works, but then you might as well just slap in a harddrive and get rid of the whole thinclient idea.

muttley:bd Wrote:Nvidia tnt (support opengl) on p2 350 Mhz...how can run my thinclient without xdmcp?!?!? Eek

You need to get a machine a lot faster than that.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Well yeah that works, but then you might as well just slap in a harddrive and get rid of the whole thinclient idea.

Yes.. the only advantages are, 1) it's cool. 2)no hard drive so silent, but you can do that with usb or cf.. I've never tried to boot a full blown os over gigabit but I would imagine it's still slower than usb..
what you speak is not a THINCLIENT...but a FATCLIENT!

Quote:With LTSP you are connecting to a remote x session... that's not going to work.. you need to boot the image from the server and in essence you will be running ubuntu/xbmc ON the thin client hardware...

Quote:You need to get a machine a lot faster than that.

if i have a machine able to run xbmc and decoding video streming i use that machine for run xbmc! why would i use an ltsp server?!!

i can make e server samba and share all films and playback on htpc...but my "htpc" (thinclient) don't able to decoding mpeg4 No

I just use this method with vlc and mplayer...i can view hd-source 720p and 1080p on my p2 350Mhz Laugh, but don't have the wonderful interface and usability that have xbmc.
muttley:bd Wrote:what you speak is not a THINCLIENT...but a FATCLIENT!

if i have a machine able to run xbmc and decoding video streming i use that machine for run xbmc! why would i use an ltsp server?!!

i can make e server samba and share all films and playback on htpc...but my "htpc" (thinclient) don't able to decoding mpeg4 No

I just use this method with vlc and mplayer...i can view hd-source 720p and 1080p on my p2 350Mhz Laugh, but don't have the wonderful interface and usability that have xbmc.

The source may be 720p/1080p, but no way you're actually playing that resolution with a p2....

Bottom line is, whatever computer you're using to output xbmc to your display has to support opengl...

Thin-client? Won't work
Fat-client? Will work

Is there a point? not really...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LTSP XBMC and XVideo extension0