Exporting and Importing a video library
Hi..

OK I have read several threads and the online manual, but it really doesn't seem to fit what I am seeing here.

I have a media PC that is fully up and running with XBMC. Great app - love it. Except I am getting nowhere exporting the library, to avoid scraping everything again on all the laptops that run XBMC to access the shared library.

I have chosen to export to a single file - which I only managed to find by searching for the folders available in the 'Export' process - and it is an xml file only and I cannot find the pictures.. where are they stored?

Exporting to separate files fills my library with about 150 files (messy) then fails (there are 800+ films), really not an option I want to take.

I feel like there is some information that I'm missing - is there a way to simply export the library?

Also - on the laptops, when I try to import, the folders it shows to import from simply do not exist...?? Completely baffled I must admit. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance..
mathius Wrote:Exporting to separate files fills my library with about 150 files (messy) then fails (there are 800+ films), really not an option I want to take.

messy? fails? What exactly is the problem? And no, there's currently no other way to export the entire database + images currently.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan Wrote:messy? fails? What exactly is the problem? And no, there's currently no other way to export the entire database + images currently.
Well it just fills your library with tonnes of files, which I don't really see as all that great - it isn't in that form on the master PC.

And it gets to about B then stops there... Oh well never mind I'll just it scrape on each laptop.

Cheers
It won't fill your library with tons of files, i will just export all images along the actual media files. On other systems the re-scrape will be much faster as XBMC doesn't need to hit the web (except for the episodeguide). If it just stops, the directory is most likely not writable.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I am a bit mysified - can you please answer a few questions?

-What does the videodb.db file do, what happens when I import that, and why can I simply not find the locations that xbmc imports from/exports to? In my laptop, I can 'export' to a limited set of folders that do not show up on any search anywhere.. and I can't for the life of me find the CDDB folder listed (for example). it is really making no sense at all..
I have noticed vista search is doing some very weird stuff. God I hate this OS.
The .db file holds all information about your movies and shows. If all paths are the same on your different setups, you can share it between all XBMC installations. The folder specified when performing a single file export is located in your users xbmc home. Easiest way to keep it sync, is to export into separate files though.
vdrfan Wrote:It won't fill your library with tons of files, i will just export all images along the actual media files.
Hi

Well I went back and this time the separate-file export went right through. So now I have all the jpg, tbn and nfo files amongst the video files - but the scraper still appears to be downloading and not using these. Is there a process to import these? Do they have to stay there?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: It appears to be 'downloading' the exported files, as opposed to using the scrapers - much faster. So I am assuming that these files do not have to stay there after this process. Thanks again for the advice.
They have to stay in case you want to re-import on another XBMC installation.
vdrfan Wrote:They have to stay in case you want to re-import on another XBMC installation.
That all works really well.

It's just occurred to me to set these files as hidden, so they won't interfere with the normal file sharing anyway, so everything is good. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Exporting and Importing a video library0