Aspire Revo connected to HDMI>Yamaha amp>LCD - Screen resolution?
Greetings to you all,

started playing with the live install on my Revo after getting completely pissed of with Windows 7 and Mediacenter. I still can't believe my eyes when when running XBMC.. Fast, beautiful, just the way a Mediacenter should work!

On to my question, Just bought a Yamaha RX-V563 with HDMI in and out. Reinstalled the live cd on my harddisk but the resolution i get when feeding the HDMI cable from my Revo through the Yammie is a lousy 480p. Connected directly to the LCD it is the stunning 1080i.

Can you guys point me in the right direction, is XMBC/Ubuntu struggling to get the right resolution to my TV or is the Yamaha doing something to the signal?

TIA, greetings from NL!
It sounds like the Yamaha may be sending a faulty EDID. You may have to override the EDID and use modelines in this case.

motd
thanks motd,

will have a look tonight. I'll try a fresh install with the amp connected in the middle and see what the conf file looks like.
I would have gone for bypassing the amp to fetch the correct modelines (connect the revo directly to the LCD), this guide describes how to fetch correct modelines in ubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...nes&page=2
Great info, thanks, started reading already, also found some posts about read-edid etc.

this forum rocks!
I've just managed to get HDMI audo and video routed through my Yamaha at 1080i, including navigation sounds, and working crossfading!

Shocked

Life and XBMC are great, thanks for your tips so far!

The trick was to indeed to create an edid.bin file and feed it to xorg.conf!

quick and dirty steps:

kill -9 `ps ax | grep xbmc.bin| grep -v grep | awk ‘{print $1}’`
kill -9 `ps ax | grep startx | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
killall -9 Xorg

(make sure nothing xbmc, x11 or xorg is running anymore)

$ sudo X -verbose 6 > ~/xlog.txt 2>&1

ctrl-c this process

nvidia-xconfig -extract-edids-from-file=xlog.txt -extract-edids-output-file=tv-edid.bin

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

enhance the Device section as per below:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/home/xbmc/tv-edid.bin"
EndSection

sudo reboot

got this working on the latest SVN build with NVIDIA driver
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...1-pkg1.run

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help