Boxee fork of XBMC just got 6 Million in VC?
"would greatly help remove the xbox-hackerness people associate with the program."

You what?
I love showing people the Xbox in my cabinet after they ask me what is running the show. Of course they always say. "Man, I didn't know the 360 could do that"

Of course I have to rexplain it to them that the Xbox360 can not do it and it really confuses them even more. Wink
I'm not sure what the problem with reverse acronym names is.. Never heard somebody complain about GNU's name... XBMC just sounds right as it is.
kortina Wrote:I think this would be a huge step forward for XBMC to see it running on retail hardware.

One major setback is that people cant buy an XBMC appliance. Boxee are on to a good thing here, and it should really benifit both both parties.

It would be a good idea to create different builds.

Acer Revo? Download this Ubuntu-Thingy-with-XBMC on a USB-Drive or SD-Card and you are done. Zotac Ion? Upcomming Asus Eeepc?

It would be great, if those 3 platforms get proper support for the masses.

The best solution would be an Live-image, burnt on a CD or USB-Drive, which can be installed on a internal drive/SD-Card/Another USB-Drive; with an double-click.
Evin Wrote:The best solution would be an Live-image, burnt on a CD or USB-Drive, which can be installed on a internal drive/SD-Card/Another USB-Drive; with an double-click.

Wow, a Live-Image is really a good idea!
Why don't we have this already?
You can easily install it from there.
XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
Installing XBMC on Ubuntu can't get easier than this!
Before posting error/feature questions regarding XBMScript, read THIS
Run as root. Don't be a pussy
IMO it's still to complicated.

If XBMC should reach more people, there have to be 2 or 3 "prototypes", for example:

- Zotac Motherboard
- Asus eeePC-Thingy
- Acer Revo

Now, you have to download an image an burn it on a CD or put it on a bootable USB-Drive. Start (blank) PC, nice Install-Menue, choose your preferred type of Installation (internal HDD oder another USB-Drive), ENTER, done.

Just imo, of course.
flxfxp Wrote:Wow, a Live-Image is really a good idea!
Why don't we have this already?
You can easily install it from there.

I see your sarcasm, but I believe what Evin means is xbmc should have individual Live builds specifically for the hardware mentioned: Zotac, Acer, Asus, etc.

I def agree it is a good idea since those seem to be pretty popular and cheap htpcs, except a lot of people are struggling to make xbmc work smoothly on them.

Too many people are scared of xbmc because they don't have the experience required to troubleshoot. A complete (almost tweak free) version for their specific hardware would expand the potential user base greatly.

Just my 2 cents
aptalca Wrote:I see your sarcasm, but I believe what Evin means is xbmc should have individual Live builds specifically for the hardware mentioned: Zotac, Acer, Asus, etc.

I def agree it is a good idea since those seem to be pretty popular and cheap htpcs, except a lot of people are struggling to make xbmc work smoothly on them.

Too many people are scared of xbmc because they don't have the experience required to troubleshoot. A complete (almost tweak free) version for their specific hardware would expand the potential user base greatly.

Just my 2 cents

I agree, it's the "out of the box" experience that's going to get the larger user base interested, also, an XBMC appliance (popcorn, only better) would really kick XBMC mainstream...
This is something the wider community can take responsibility for. Developers don't have the time or hardware to tweak XBMC live for one particular box (and there's more and more coming out now).

The community can. Get XBMC Live working on your hardware, and post clearly what you did. Get together and incorporate the changes into the Live image so that it works well out of the box on your hardware.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I hope all the best for XBMC. But i agree with those who think that
XBMC is a lame name. no offense Wink

It does not role of the tongue - when i say the name it chokes
in my throat.
and yes it doesent stand for anything lol.

Give up the XBMC name now before going out marketing this beauty. it deserves a cool name !
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
But then you lose all name recognition already out there. Not to mention every internet link that mentions XBMC.
my bikeshed shall NOT be blue! red shed!
Perfect reference spiff!
-stoli-
spiff Wrote:my bikeshed shall NOT be blue! red shed!

not that I don't like the XBMC name (I do), but "Red Shed" sounds pretty cool too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee fork of XBMC just got 6 Million in VC?0