Boxee fork of XBMC just got 6 Million in VC?
kizer Wrote:How to I rip dvds, how do I put videos on it, how do I....... I ended up thinking man its to much effort to set them up when they really don't want to learn they just want to push in a disk and click a button. I'm sure we all would as well, but I guess thats the excitement of knowin I did that.

I hear ya!

Me, I don't try to hide it, I love living on the razors edge.. it hurts SO good! I actually have pains when there aren't thing that need tweaking and fixing... My solution is a blissfully simple one, search out the latest cool mods,scrips,apps,etc thats ALMOST ready for prime time and get that sucker installed asap!! Then after the fact try and figure out why I broke a perfectly acceptable home media center install... Or race like hell to undo the patch before the wife gets home...

Dave
MPauley73 Wrote:from the about page: '...XBMC, recursive acronym for “XBMC Media Center“' XBox isn't in the name anymore.

This always drives me insane when I read it. It's just an excuse to not change the name. So if it means "XBMC Media Center" now and not "Xbox Media Center" then what does the "XBMC" in "XBMC Media Center" mean? That's like saying "KFC" doesn't mean "Kentucky Fried Chicken" anymore...it just means "KFC" which would mean nothing. Just pull the band-aid and give it a new name. You could even tag the new logo with "Formerly XBMC" for awhile to minimize the confusion. You can deny it all you want, but anyone that sees XBMC thinks "Xbox". No offense intended, but XBMC is a silly name when the letters don't mean anything.
spiff Wrote:just to make it clear; we have a very good relationship with boxee, they have sponsored both our dev cons and personally i am very happy to see them getting the finances they need to do their thing. as a side note, i can say that we already got $25k donated from boxee a while back with no strings attached (we have used a good bit of it for covering travel expenses to dev con, as well as hosting - things that benefit the project and not the individual). they know where they come from and honor it well beyond what they are required to do (obey the license).

Thats great to hear and I hope my post didn't in any way make any suggestion that the relationship between to the two was stressed.

My post above was 'pure though' alone... I have zero (okay even less than zero) knowledge of the politic of XBMC and would have no business making any insinuations.

If any of the text in my post in any way made it seem like I was insinuating any friction between XBMC and Boxee it was totally unintentional and I will gladly remove any offending text if someone points it out.

Dave
smcnally75 Wrote:This always drives me insane when I read it. It's just an excuse to not change the name. So if it means "XBMC Media Center" now and not "Xbox Media Center" then what does the "XBMC" in "XBMC Media Center" mean? That's like saying "KFC" doesn't mean "Kentucky Fried Chicken" anymore...it just means "KFC" which would mean nothing.

Net youngin's,

The net is FILLED with MLA (multi-letter acronyms) that recurse.

Probably the most famous for the geeky code hackers like me would be GNU that stands for "Gnu's Not Unix"

Some others for ya:

LAME: LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder
PINE: PINE Is Nearly Elm (command line unix apps for mail)
TIP: TIP isn't Pico (original name for Nano text editor)
Wine: Wine Is Not an Emulator (windows enabler for linux)

A real life example:

ADAP: ADAP Discount Auto Part

Yea I really DONT have anything better to do! Big Grin

Dave
DaveGee Wrote:Net youngin's,

The net is FILLED with MLA (multi-letter acronyms) that recurse.

Probably the most famous for the geeky code hackers like me would be GNU that stands for "Gnu's Not Unix"

Some others for ya:

LAME: LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder
PINE: PINE Is Nearly Elm (command line unix apps for mail)
TIP: TIP isn't Pico (original name for Nano text editor)
Wine: Wine Is Not an Emulator (windows enabler for linux)

A real life example:

ADAP: ADAP Discount Auto Part

Yea I really DONT have anything better to do! Big Grin

Dave
Far from a "Net Youngin'" Wink I know what an recursive MLA is, I just choose to think they are stupid Nod
smcnally75 Wrote:Far from a "Net Youngin'" Wink

Standing corrected... no offense intended but seeing as I'm just slightly older than dirt (feels that way anyway) I get carried away... Big Grin

smcnally75 Wrote:I know what an recursive MLA is, I just choose to think they are stupid Nod

Maybe... but from a programmers point of view the only place its really safe or sane to be recursive is in the applications name... Nod

Dave
I just find the XBMC = XBMC Media Center thing a bit awkward really.

I mean, if it was XMC then it would be XMC Media Center and that'd be a great recursive definition... as it's completely strange to everyone! But the B in their definition will always drag it towards the Xbox side of things.
B = Bike shed
What's XBMC?

It's phonetic.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:What's XBMC?

It's phonetic.

phonetically hard to pronounce.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
watzen Wrote:phonetically hard to pronounce.

I have to agree with the others about the name. I'm not a fan of acronyms, let alone recursive ones. And it is difficult to pronounce. Just think the name doesn't do such a great program justice.
It's always just rolled off my tongue. Regardless, this is getting OT and we're not changing the name again. Back to bitching about Boxee getting money. Why this thread was even created is well beyond me.
Sounds good! I'll get the ball rolling:

grrrrrr Boxee!

(How am I doing?)
Back on topic,

I believe when Boxee approached the XBMC devs (several years ago now?) the devs said,

"no problem, as long as you

1) stick to the GPL
2) stick to the GPL
3) stick to the GPL "

anyhow, Boxee has done all that and more, donating money and code back upstream to XBMC.

I think it's great when someone can take an opensource project and make money off of it.

Just because you get paid for something doesn't mean you can't make it open-source.

I mean, if you don't pay for it, you have to either compile it yourself or find a 3rd party copy.

my $0.02.

-Wes
<offtopic>I agree, XBMC needs a new name!</offtopic>

edit: Seriously though, rwparris2 mentioned improving PR earlier in this topic, and a new name would greatly help remove the xbox-hackerness people associate with the program. Just saying it stands for something different now doesn't change a thing; even then, a recursive MLA isn't exactly a name for the masses either..
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]• nate w.
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee fork of XBMC just got 6 Million in VC?0