dev\nvidiactl and nvidia0 - access denied?!
Question 
Okay, am updated to 9.10 and am running the latest Jaunty version of the NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA PPA. When attempting to run XBMC from the commandline I get access denied to dev\nvidiactl and if I check permissions I see root owns it and that the video group has r\w permissions. If I give "other" r\w permissions a second file pops with the same error - nvidia0. If I give the second file r\w to other XBMC will launch fine but the permissions revert shortly afterwards. If I sudo launch XBMC then it runs fine but obviously I do not wish to run XBMC as root! I really hate permissions issuesBlush

This appears to be my only issue right now - VDPAU appears to be working WELL and audio\video via HDMI works great! So I'd like to put this last issue to bed if possible, I saw no reference to this issue in my searches here.

Thanks!

P.S. I see references out there to this being a PAM issue but I've not seen a fix. This looks like it might not be an XBMX issue Sad Welcome any thoughts on solving it though!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Add yourself to the video group.

TheUni
Thumbs Up 
theuni Wrote:Add yourself to the video group.

TheUni

Okay, good idea - duh. I look in the group listing and there's NO group named video. I create one but obviously this not work since the groups have ID numbers. Now when I check the file permissions the r\w access belongs to group 44Rolleyes I look at the ID for my new video group - it's 1001. I change it to 44 and reboot, still no joy! Since this is supposedly a PAM thing I poke aorund looking for an application that has control of this. I find something called "authorizations". One of those things is for direct access to video! I add my name to the list of authorized users and TaDa! permissions for the file are back to r\w for "video" after a reboot and sure enough I'm golden.

Very strange but hopefully if anyone else runs into this they will get some help from my adventure. My next step would have been to reload the NVIDIA drivers since I found a post from ages ago on a support forum where someone found that using older drivers fixed this <shrug> I am ASSuming that the NVIDIA install shoudl have setup something for this and somehow failed - oh well! It's working now including sound from music and movies - no nav sounds but I didn't have those before either Wink

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
dev\nvidiactl and nvidia0 - access denied?!0