Boosting Audio Channels
My question is a fairly simple/quick one. I run my XBMC audio from my pc to my sony 5.1 amp via an optical lead. Everything is working as it should except the volume for my centre speaker is a little low. I was wondering if there is a fix/mod that will allow me to boost the centre channel of my setup?

Also, I've noticed that my windows volume works seperately to the XBMC volume. In the audio software that came with my soundcard it enables me to control my individual speaker volumes, but these changes are never reflected in XBMC for some reason. I'm guessing it has something to do with XBMC using it's own audio codecs.

Anyway, any help or advice would be appreciated. My sound card is the Auzentech X-Plosion

Thanks
If you have audio output set to digital, XBMC will not decode your audio and no other software will mess with the audio stream from within the compter, which means the audio will not be touched by any system until it reaches your sony amp and will remain pristine. Thus, you will not be able to boost the center channel from within XBMC, nor will alterations to Windows volume affect the sound.

If your Auzentech soundcard supports re-encoding to AC3 (called Dolby Digital Live), you could turn that on and change audio output to analog. Then Windows could alter the individual speakers.

But that's the only way to control individual speaker volume through the computer, if the computer is connected to the receiver by optical lead.

Edit: This has the potential of changing in the future when certain code is implemented. Keep an eye out.
Just wanted to say thanks for the help.

I assumed that the only way to get 5.1 was to have XBMC set to digital. Switching it to analog and then using my soundcard to run Dolby Digital Live works a treat. I still get 5.1, and more importantly, I'm now able to boost my separate speakers via the soundcard's software. Makes a huge difference!

This has been one of those niggling issues that has frustrated me for months. Really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boosting Audio Channels0