Building my home media center
Hello guys,

I am currently building my house, and i want some help and tips from you on how to build up my media center in my house. All input will be greatly appreciated and hopefully it will help others as well, to create the center of the ir needs in their house.

Now i give you a small overview on how i imagine it to be and then you can tell me if it can function this way or need alterations.

First of, my house consists of 2 floors + the attic.

In the attic i will have my main PC with my router.

In the second floor i have the 2 childrens bedroom, each with its own internet socket on the wall.

In the first floor in the main living room i will have my media center. It will consist of an LCD TV, a dreambox receiver, my old XBOX and the internet modem.

What my requirements are:

1. I want the bedrooms to have access to internet only. But i want my main pc in the attic to be directly connected with the living room.

2. I want to update and synchronize my data from my windows installation of XBMC.

2. I did a bit of searching about nettops and found out about the ASROCK ION 330 and Acer ASPIRE REVO due to the fact i want to have the HD playback which i wont have with my old xbox. That looks like a great solution for my case, where i want the XBMC as my main media center with HD.

3. I think it would be wise to have an external HDD either in the attic or in the living room where i will have all my data?

4. In total my revised outline for internet socket plugs is

- children bedroom A : 1
- children bedroom B : 1
- Living Room : 4 (1 TV, 1 DREAMBOX, 1 XBOX, 1 NETTOP)
- Attic : (?)

Can you help me add or remove the appropriate ones?

What i want from you guys is ideas on how it would work best, and provide me with any solutions you might have. Rearrangements etc are welcome.

Hopefully i will get my answers from you and call my electrician right away!

Thanks a lot in advance, and if i was not clear on anything; which i am sure i wasnt that clear on everything, dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
Maybe I didn't understand you correctly, as I'm not sure where your problem is?

I would wire (using STP Cat 6 cable) all sockets from the various rooms to one central point where I would install a network switch and the internet gateway.
Seems straightforward to me.
its not a problem. i just want your ideas based on my house. basically what would you do?

the central point will be the attic were the router will be.

I want to know solutions and if i am going about it the correct way.
Hello,

What you should do, pudget permitting of course, is put Gb/s wires from the rooms to the attic, then have the Internet access point in the attic as well. With Gb/s wires, you won't need to worry about streaming from your PC to your media center.
Then, if you want to set restrictions on what access your children should have, this will have to be done on the firewall, not physically.
And if you want to avoid the cables, I am personally using some CPL plugs (200 Mb/s) and it works great, very easy to setup - a good option as well!

I hope this helps...
wow thx for the info.

Do you have any links to these products for more info to check them out?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building my home media center0