Strange sound problems on resume from standby
Good evening. For a couple of years I have been using Mediaportal, but because of bad stability i have converted to XBMC and I am really impressed already.

My setup:
Gigabyte MB with integrated sound/graphics. Connected to my Denon reciever via HDMI. I followed the unofficial ubuntu-minimal guide in the wiki together with som other guides i have found.

Almost everything works. My MCE remote works, standby/resume works and finally I have managed to get lirc to restart on resume from suspend. My problem at the moment is the sound.

In my audiosetup in xbmc i have the following:
Digital
Checked
Checked
hdmi
iec958
Unchecked

When i boot my htpc everything works exept from the skin-sounds. When I resume from standby the skin-sounds work, but not playback from mp3 og avi files. (Dvd sound works all the time, but i guess this has something to to with passtrough on dvd sound.)

Is there a way to restart any soundservices on resume so I can get this working? I have triet to restart alsa-utils, but no luck.

Another question:
In my resumescript i use "sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live restart" to restart xbmc after standby, is this a "clean" way to to it? I have tried several other kill/start scripts, but my method seems to be working best for me.

My suspendscript "/home/xbmc/scripts/suspend.sh":
#!/bin/sh
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop
sudo modprobe -r lirc_mceusb
sudo pm-suspend
exit

My resumescript "/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99xbmc":
#!/bin/bash
sudo modprobe lirc_mceusb
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc start
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live start
exit

Is there anyone who can help me with this? I am no linux guru, but have been using Ubuntu for some time and i am a friend of Google so I have been searching alot on this issue.
I had this type of problems, but new kernels (with new alsa) solved the problem.
Try to upgrade to latest Jaunty kernel, or just update your alsa with the famous alsa upgrade script.

My setup is a little different, I use hdmi, hdmi for both outputs. You need to do a couple of things until 44.2 khz cd playback work without upsampling and at normal speed.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ltichannel

I could help you out with a final step list if you are interested. But only tomorow, caouse now i have to leave.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I have now updated ALSA. I have set audiosetup to
Digital
Checked
Checked
hdmi
hdmi
Checked

Now all sound work after reboot, even the skin-sounds, but after suspend/resume only the skin-sounds work. The skin-sounds is no big deal, but since i want the HTPC to suspend instead of shutting down i need sound to work when it resumes from standby.
Are you still using .asoundrc? I think the .asoundrc is not loaded correctly after resume.
With the new alsa and a late xbmc svn I don't need any .asoundrc.
(But I do get some shutter without the dmix)

I use spdif... I haven't tried hdmi nor suspend in a while.
I haven't used .asoundrc, only upgraded alsa with the alsa upgrading script. I have been in alsamixer and checked everything there also.

If i want to find the .asoundrc is it located in ~/.asoundrc or some other place?

My version of XBMC is pre.910 r22278 (aug 20, 2009).
I also experienced this sound problem with the stable release.
Quote:My version of XBMC is pre.910 r22278 (aug 20, 2009).
I see in the forum that some people is having problems with bugs right now. I think I skipped .asoundrc with the 12 aug build then it was working

I hope to figure out to compile with out pulse support and I am hoping also learn how to compile to an older svn.

~/.asoundrc
Thats the one I used yes.

OK, I did some tests:
(EDIT: test done on 16 aug)
digital
on
on
hdmi
hdmi
on

Sound works for avi & mp3 but no nav sound (nav works on spdif)
=> suspend to ram => resume => still works fine
I didn't test to fix the nav sound with .asoundrc but earlier it did not work after suspend
I will try with som settings in .asoundrc to see if it helps, but since i haven't used it i need to read a bit. Thanks for your answer anyway, i will post as soon as i figure something out.
You don't supposed to have navigation sounds by default. Neighter do i.

You can only have nav sound with hdmi connection two ways:

1. A custom .asoundrc file. ( i don't think it is agood thing to have downmixing or any other audio processing in the way)

2. Pulseaudio

Both solutions could make down (or up) sampling to a certain Khz. Which makes audible sound quality loss. I think it is 48khz in your case as hdmi audio driver by default only supports this frequecy.
You need to get rid of .asoundrc file AND pulseaudio. Than you need to build a custom alsa nvidia module to have 44.2khz and other frequenzies supported over hdmi.

This is only true of you have nvidia chipset.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I forgot to mention that my soundcard is: (output from alsamixer)
Card: HDA Intel │
Chip: Realtek ALC889A

I have now tried several settings, but it does not seem to work.
Ok, it's been a long time since i investigated this, but now i have new information.

Tonight i tried to connect analog headphones to my xbmc pc and there i got sound after resume, it seems that hdmi doesn't work after resume from standby. I have googled all night, but cannot find someone with the same problem. Maybe this has something to do with some kind of handshaking between the computer and my tv. I have tested with my tv on all the time and suspend/resume, but that does not seem to help. This is my output from dmesg after the resume:

Code:
xbmc@andytv:~$ dmesg | grep HDA
[  125.360113] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A disabled
[  125.380027] PM: suspend of drv:HDA Intel dev:0000:00:1b.0 complete after 239.967 msecs
[  126.060221] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: restoring config space at offset 0xf (was 0x100, writing 0x10e)
[  126.060233] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: restoring config space at offset 0x4 (was 0x4, writing 0xf3200004)
[  126.060238] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: restoring config space at offset 0x3 (was 0x0, writing 0x8)
[  126.060243] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: restoring config space at offset 0x1 (was 0x100000, writing 0x100002)
[  126.500332] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
[  126.500336] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64
[  126.743257] PM: resume of drv:HDA Intel dev:0000:00:1b.0 complete after 242.935 msecs

I have to check my Samsung tv for any settings there, but it was a relief to find that sound works after suspend/resume, now i just need to find out why HDMI sound doesn't work after suspend/resume.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange sound problems on resume from standby0