Google Gmail check
i have found a python library for google gmail at

http://libgmail.sourceforge.net/

it's good idea to create a xbmc script for retrieve gmail email.

sample use:

import libgmail

ga = libgmail.gmailaccount("[email protected]", "mymailismypass")
ga.login()
folder = ga.getmessagesbyfolder('inbox')

for thread in folder:
 print thread.id, len(thread), thread.subject
 for msg in thread:
   print "  ", msg.id, msg.number, msg.subject
   print msg.source
hey thats a feature i'd like to have. how would one put libgmail onto the xbox? it'd be nice just to have a new message notifier that has the number of new messages. maybe it could be incorporated into xbmcmail...
--jaga
haven't anyone done any work on a gmail script yet?
gmail now supports pop3 access so the existing xbmcmail script could be used.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
yes i know, but it won't give me full access if i understand correctly. but i might be wrong.
use python library for gmail will be very easy...
no time to do it yet....

more features in gmail than using just xbmcmail. libgmail include a ftp feature. so you can use your gmail account as a personnal ftp server.
pop3 by ssl, as needed by gmail and others, is possible with the pop3_ssl function in poplib, but it is only supported from python 2.4.
so a quick update xbmcmail.py won't be possible until python is upgraded from 2.3 in the cvs.

would there be trouble compiling with python 2.4?
any progress on this?
no and i doubt there will be, the current pythin does not support ssl connections that gmail requires. the newer release of python does, but after numerous attempts here at finding out a procedure to upgrade my own python so i could work on this and document it for those whom it might be of interest to there is still no such response and it doesnt look as though there will be any python upgrade coming for xbmc anytime soon.

i think this project is a dead end i am afraid.
Quote:no and i doubt there will be, the current pythin does not support ssl connections that gmail requires. the newer release of python does, but after numerous attempts here at finding out a procedure to upgrade my own python so i could work on this and document it for those whom it might be of interest to there is still no such response and it doesnt look as though there will be any python upgrade coming for xbmc anytime soon.
upgrading python is not such an easy task as you think.
you don't even wan't to know how much time it takes to upgrade it.
but just upgrading is not everything, it should be tested too, which takes even more time (i don't want to have the forum full of messages describing new bugs).
and yes, you are probably right about it that python in xbmc isn't going to be upgraded soon (even if i start upgrading it now it will take a few weeks), just because of the simple fact that python 2.3 does it's job quite well atm, besides pop3_ssl support ofcours :-).
if i had more time and wasn't busy on the dvd player i would have probably upgraded it the first day it came out
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thanks for the info darkie, more info that i had gotten previously. al least now i have an idea of the undertaking and know it isnt as easy as changing the lib file.
for gmail: google just released the simple html version for use on small screen devices (like pda's).
that would be a good starting point i guess.

a url for the rss info on your gmail account:
https://gmail.google.com/gmail/feed/atom

cheers,

m
mvoosten , thanks for the link Smile
for thread completeness...

Quote:pywebmail is a python library and pop3 gateway that enable working with webmail servers like with pop3 or imap mail server. currently mail.com, yahoo! mail, gmail, netscape.net, hotmail and some minor servers support is finished.
http://pywebmail.sourceforge.net/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Gmail check0