Booting Live CD and picking ATI graphics type gives me a garbled image? (pic incl.)
Question 
Hi all

I have a good system; it's a Gigabyte P965-S3 motherboard, with a Q6600 inside, 4GB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 (Cheap, but effective.).. and my TV is a Sony Bravia W3000 model (1080p 60hz)

Never had a problem with ANYTHING before; including a mythbuntu installation on another partition, and the card and XBMC all work great in windows etc. but I wanted to try the Linux format of it.

However; when I boot the burned XBMC Live CD, it boots up with the menu and I pick ATI graphics instead of NVidia, and it begins to load, but once X starts it's just giving me this scrambled image on the screen:

Is it loading the wrong driver or something, or trying the wrong resolution maybe? How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks alot in advance for any help!

cheers
Bump - I've got the same problem. I created both a LiveDVD (didn't have any blank CDs), and a Live USB stick, and on both I get a similar image after the fullscreen loading image shows for a period. This is on a system with the following specs:

AMD X2 5600+ (AM2)
2GB DDR2
AMD 690V chipset (onboard graphics disabled)
AMD Radeon HD 4830
hooked to a 1080P Acer monitor via HDMI
EDIT: I should mention - I've tried booting using both the standard ATI option, and the ATI safe mode.

On another system with a single core low-power Athlon64, and an onboard GeForce 6100, 19" monitor over VGA cable, XBMC loads up just fine using the Live DVD (haven't yet tried USB, as USB the boot settings are buried in the BIOS on this system).
I had the same problem as you guys, luckily I already had an Ubuntu installation on the PC in question so I booted into that and then copied the xorg.conf from /etc/X11 onto my LiveUSB into a folder at the root called 'config' now it works perfectly.
I had the same problem too. Ended up just uprading to Nvidia card 'cos I needed an upgrade anyway.
I never fixed this problem and bought a $50 nvidia 9600 GSO instead.

this seriously needs addressing, nobody really even bothered trying to help or even respond/acknowledge here sadly
locust Wrote:this seriously needs addressing, nobody really even bothered trying to help or even respond/acknowledge here sadly
This is likely due to the probability that it's specifically a problem with X and it's auto detecting feature. This forum is specifically for XBMC Linux branch. Another user stated earlier in an above post that the problem was solved with a properly configured Xorg.conf.
Quote:XBMC Linux branch.
and live? I think this must be regarded a valid issue for the xbmcLive product?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Booting Live CD and picking ATI graphics type gives me a garbled image? (pic incl.)0