How to use Xbox 360 Controller with XBMC OSX
This is kind of part how-to, with the exception of a single bug which I require help to get rid of. Anyway, I'll start off with the guide:

1) First you need to have either a wired or wireless Xbox 360 controller and need to make sure you also have the wireless receiver which comes seperately

2) Download and install Tattiebogle's fabulous Xbox 360 controller drivers from:
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Project.../OsxDriver Installation should be straight forward

3) Download the following keymap http://www.zshare.net/download/64871244d39b91d5/ and place it under the Systems folder. (Right click XBMC under applications and click "Show Package Contents". Navigate /Contents/Resources/XBMC/System. Replace the Keymap.xml after backing up the original)

4) Then all should be working when you open up XBMC!\

There is however one little problem with the keymapping which I would greatly appreciate some help on. In the keymap.xml is the following under global, under Wireless 360 Controller:

Quote: <axis id="6" limit="0">ScrollDown</axis>
<axis id="5" limit="0">ScrollUp</axis>
<axis id="3" limit="-1">AnalogSeekForward</axis>
<axis id="3" limit="+1">AnalogSeekBack</axis>
<axis id="4" limit="+1">VolumeUp</axis>
<axis id="4" limit="-1">VolumeDown</axis>

For some reason the:
<axis id="3" limit="-1">AnalogSeekForward</axis>
<axis id="3" limit="+1">AnalogSeekBack</axis>

part causes problems when trying to scan with the right thumbstick. It will only scan in one direction ie. if you push the thumbstick to the right it will seek backwards, and if you push the thumbstick to the left it will ALSO seek BACKWARDSHuh

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to correct it? I have written a keymap.xml for linux and this problem with the right thumbstick also happens. Any ideas?
No one has had this bug with the right analogue stick?
tranalbert Wrote:No one has had this bug with the right analogue stick?

Saw your post over in my related post about linux 360 controller support. My suggestion for you is similar to the advice I give here :

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=396941&postcount=5

Basically you need an equivalent of the linux package "jstest" which will show you which axises you are using. It sounds as if the axises are different from the 360 map you're using. I am also not sure that the limit="0" is actually correct in the case of the shoulder triggers, my keymap that I use with xboxdrv in jaunty linux changes that to +1 and -1 like the other ones, and that results in it working much better..

Good luck! The more support for xbox360 controllers the better, it really gives XBMC that classic Xbox feel!

=darwin
I've used both Controller Mate and Joystick and Gamepad Tester to identify the analogue axis id's and they work fine both identifying the horizontal axis of the right thumbstick... showing -ve values towards the right and +ve values towards the left, but xbmc is still not processing the keymap correctly. It appears that xbmc sees the x-axis of the thumb stick as +ve values always when ever it is moved from the center regardless of direction, rather than both +ve and -ve values.

On another note, it appears that the left analogue stick also has this similar problem with the x-axis.

I have used my keymap under Plex and it works as it suppose to. I have even copied the 360 keymap from Plex http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/360_Controller.xmlwhich works under Plex back into xbmc and the problem still crops up with the horizontal axis.

Am I missing something? Any further ideas?
tranalbert Wrote:identifying the horizontal axis of the right thumbstick... showing -ve values towards the right and +ve values towards the left, but xbmc is still not processing the keymap correctly.
Am I missing something? Any further ideas?

As long as you're sure that you aren't getting the "off-by-one" issue with the Keymap axis names, and you have tried replacing the limit="0" with limit="+1"/limit="-1" for the thumb sticks, I'm not sure what is going wrong. I suggest filing a trac ticket with good details.. Smile

=darwin
i tried this but the keymap link is broken.Is there anybody else with a working link to a keymap?
Im also trying to get this working.
I have downloaded the latest driver 0.9 off tattiebogle.

I can see the connected USB Xbox360 controller under the drivers preferences page.
I can also use "Controller Mate" or "Joystick and Gamepad Tester" and see the controller. (Controller works fine. I can see all the buttons light up etc)

Im using the latest build of XBMC "OSX - 31746"
I can see there is a xbox360 controller keymap file in XBMC.
I have tried to put my own keymap file in.. I can see it loads my custom map but I have no idea how to reference the controller. Im just guessing at the name based on how other programs see it.

Looking at the logs (syslog and xbmc) with debug on does not show any messages about detecting a joystick or xbox controller.
If I press buttons on the controller I don't get any messages in XBMC (logs or onscreen)

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Is there any way to debug this controller? Should it come up in the bootup log for XBMC?

Any ideas would be appreciated...
Thanks guys

(Happy to post a full debug but not sure if it will help)
Brom
I suppose from the instructions listed above that there is no way to get the remote to work via the remote receiver on the ATV?
i would love to see this properly working!
can some1 please post the keymap.xml, or a similiar one that works?
ive had no joy so far with my wired controller in either Plex or XBMC.
i think this is because the 360 controller xml file only refers to wireless controllers
anarchintosh Wrote:can some1 please post the keymap.xml, or a similiar one that works?
ive had no joy so far with my wired controller in either Plex or XBMC.
i think this is because the 360 controller xml file only refers to wireless controllers

Looks like we are having the same issue. The thing is; I cant see anywhere in the XBMC startup where its actually detecting the 360 controller (wired).
Im not sure if the issue is with the tattiebogle driver or XBMC.

In any case does anyone know how I can identify if the controller is being detected... Should it come up in the XBMC log?

B
Im having problems as well. Tattiebogles driver is working fine and detects my controller without a problem. There is a xbox 360 controller keymap in my systems folder that i did not put there, but xbmc doesent seem to detect the controller at all. almost same as above i guess. Thank you to anyone that can help!
Hi, is there any way to get the this working on the ATV?

Many Thanks
bump
i'm getting the same thing as digitdrizzy and brom

EDIT:
ok, checked the regular log, and the controller is listed as being detected on XBMC startup, despite it not working.

Code:
18:58:46 T:2697172288 M:3614359552  NOTICE: Enabled Joystick: Controller
18:58:46 T:2697172288 M:3614359552  NOTICE: Details: Total Axis: 6 Total Hats: 0 Total Buttons: 15

This doesn't appear in the log when the remote is not plugged in.
further bump, i compiled a load of tools that help with detecting joystick/controller stuff on Mac OS X

http://www.multiupload.com/5ESU2T4UIC

These should provide equivalent functionality to linux's jstest hopefully.... and therefore be useful when trying to make a keymap

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to use Xbox 360 Controller with XBMC OSX0