Duplicate subtitles in Matrix & Nexus - Pluto.TV PVR client + the Pluto.TV addon
I am experiencing duplicate subtitles in Kodi Matrix and in upcoming Kodi Nexus.

Duplicate Subtitle Examples:

My set up is as follows:

- Raspberry Pi 3 model B with LibreELEC
- Default Estuary Kodi skin
- BenQ FP222WH (1X680x1050) LCD monitor
- Pluto.tv PVR Client addon

The duplicate subtitles appeared when I was using Pluto.tv PVR client (via TV menu) to watch a movie on the "Pluto TV Comedy Movies" channel. I used the "T" key to toggle subtitles active. Note that the issue occurs on other Pluto TV channels as well though sometimes a specific show might not demonstrate the problem (at least in the few minutes I watched).

The duplicate subtitles seem to appear inconsistently. Sometimes a duplicate subtitle is displayed, whereas other times a single subtitle is shown.

This problem occurs in each of the following combinations I tested

Combo 1 - LE 11.0-nightly-20221128-5ee9fb6:

LibreELEC: nightly-20221128-5ee9fb6 11.0
Kodi: 20.0-BETA1 (19.90.801) compiled 2022-11-28
Git: 20.0b1-Nexus
Pluto.TV PVR Client: 20.3.0.2

Combo 2 - LE 10.0.2:

LibreELEC: 10.0.2
Kodi: 19.4 compiled 2022-03-05
Git: 19.4-Matrix
Pluto.TV PVR Client: 19.0.3.1

Combo 3 - LE 10.0.3:

LibreELEC: 10.0.3
Kodi: 19.4 compiled 2022-10-15
Git: 286694....36f35c
Pluto.TV PVR Client: 19.0.3.1

Note that I created a debug log in Kodi Nexus, but the log file is over 20k lines and fails to upload to paste.kodi.tv. If you are unable to recreate the problem and need the log then we'll have to find another way to post it.

Please let me know if more information is needed.
First, I'm pretty sure it is Kodi Nexus (with only one 'x') Smile

Second, it seems to me that the Pluto add-on is the culprit here, so 'Video support' is not likely the best subforum for this topic. Otherwise, do you get double subtitles in normal videos as well? And can you double-check the content of the subtitle file?
Thank you Klojum for correcting my typo in spelling Nexus (should be one "s" not two).

You may be onto something about the problem being linked to Pluto TV.

To test your theory I tried to find other video add-ons.  It took me quite a while to find a video add-on that worked in Kodi Nexus AND had subtitles.  I finally got TED Talks installed and working with the fixes from the TED Talks forum.  I played a few videos and none of these had duplicate subtitles.

Next I installed the Pluto.TV Video Add-on (not the Pluto.TV PVR Client) and tested playing a video from the "Doctor Who Classic" channel.  I discovered that both the Pluto.TV PVR client AND the Pluto.TV video add-on display duplicate subtitles from time to time.

Duplicate Subtitle Example

@Klojum are you able to move these posts over to the Pluto TV forum?

Or should I create a new posting in a Pluto TV forum?
(2022-12-01, 19:11)kodaksmith Wrote: Or should I create a new posting in a Pluto TV forum?

Nope.
Does the Pluto.TV addon use InputStream Adaptive? Because the Disney+ addon uses this and it also has duplicate subtitles (they start to happen after seeking in a stream).

According to the Disney+ addon's author, the problem lies with the InputStream Adaptive addon.
Thanks Klojum for moving the thread.

Thanks also MrMagic for indicating that the Disney+ video add-on with InputStream Adaptive add-on also has the duplicate subtitles problem.

Both the Pluto TV video add-on and the Pluto TV PVR Client reference inputstream.adaptive in the source code.

I will try to find another video add-on with subtitles that also uses InputStream Adaptive to see if this is a consistent problem with add-ons that share this component.
The Crackle video add-on also references inputstream.adaptive in the source code.  I played several videos with subtitles enabled, but at all times only a single subtitle was displayed (no duplicates).

If the problem is with the InputStream Adaptive add-on, then perhaps the issue is with how it is implemented in the various video add-ons source code?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate subtitles in Matrix & Nexus - Pluto.TV PVR client + the Pluto.TV addon0