Vista MCE with XBMC?
Hi guys,

This is a very simple question. I want to use Vista MCE for TV viewing/recording and XBMC for movies,music and picture library. Since Vista MCE is already installed on my Vista OS, I only need to install XBMC.

I'm just wondering if this is possible though - Two different media centers residing in one OS. The main concern is whether these two programs will clash occasionally/randomly? - Vista MCE will probably use some in-built decoder off my TV tuner card to bring the picture and XBMC will also use some 3rd party decoders to play x.264 contents. (I'll use KMplayer + CoreAVC + Haali media splitter as an external player) - Of course, I won't be playing Vista MCE and XBMC at the same time, but like in the case where it's not wise to have two different codec packs in your PC, I guess it's not wise to have two different media centers in one PC, too?

What's your opinion about this?
I actually use both Windows 7 MCE (for watching tv) and XBMC (for everything else) with no problem at all. Of course, I don't use an external player, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem.
I am also using Vista MCE for watching TV and XBMC for everything else.

I used to do everything with MCE but it was getting very difficult with all the different movie formats. So I installed XBMC and gave it a go.
The ideal situation would be to have Live TV option in XBMC but this is not available.

Then I removed everything from the MCE menu except live tv, recordings and guide.

I set up my MCE remote with eventghost to be able to use it within XBMC but this gave me some problems when i was browsing in XBMC suddenly MCE would start up.
So i googled and found out you can turn off a windows service that controls the remote and sends the keypresses to mce.

I then had to set up eventghost, so that i could use my remote in MCE without the service. I can control everyhing the same way I used to except changing aspect ratio.

I hope I can find a solution so that i can add a menu item "LIVE TV" in XBMC, have it close XBMC, and start live tv in MCE. Then when i close MCE to have it go back to XBMC, but this is not that easy.

Anyway, it works almost the way I want to and using the two together is definatly possible

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vista MCE with XBMC?0