Not friendly
It seems that the intented public for this skin is really not "ordinary users" like one could say.

First, let me put some facts. I'm not a computer dummy, in fact, I work with it, I develop systems.

Well, let's go to the story. I saw Aeon page in http://xbmc.org/skins/aeon/. Then I went to "Download" link, wich took me to GitHub. There, it says "Hi! djh is using GitHub to share code with you!". What "djh" would mean I didn't know, but ignored it and clicked "Download". Then I was prompted to choose zip or rar, chosed zip and downloaded it.

This zip came with these files:
.gitignore
720p
language
media
skin.xml
sounds

So far, no readme, no instruction at all.

Found strange the set of files, but then thought that who made this distribution was expecting that downloaders must know that there must be a skin directory, so I made a "Aeon" directory in "skin" directory and unzipped files there.

Went to settings and selected Aeon skin. Well, XBMC became not usable, and so I had to shut it down and edit guisettings.xml to revert the skin to the previous I was using.

I believe the things I said I did (to know directory structure of XBMC, know how to edit xml setting files, etc) show that I am not a dummy. But even son, I was not able to make the thing work.

Things should be more clear, don't throw away a development work by making your work hard to install!
What does "became not usable" mean? What _exactly_ happened? What _exactly_ did you do to make it happen?

Were you just missing the font files? If so, I'll request that the download link in the meantime is directed to the forums here, where the font files are available.

Things should be more clear, don't throw away the opportunity to get a bug fixed by making your report hard to comprehend!

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I wonder if the OP even realizes that djh is on vacation.
While I don't agree with his overall tone I do admit I feel a little overwhelmed trying to set everything up. Like trying to figure out how to get the multiplex view etc.
Well the thing is like most free software Aeon in all it's variants is up to you to figure out.
Djh did a great job putting it together and it's pretty straight forward if you read the threads.
There's howtos for everything you can image, forks, mods, etc. You don't have to be brilliant to figure it out really.
Hell even scripts that will download and install if for you... I think this is a case of too little effort.
And probably the OP not installing the fonts as well.
AEON is the hardest skin to set up, there is no argument there.
OP should have checked our wiki on installing skins, searching "installing skins" gives you what you need.

That said, it would be a good idea for someone (not it!) to create a generic readme about how to install skins & other addons that skinners could include with zero extra effort.

If they wanted to add additional instructions or link to the forums/wiki for further instructions that would be awesome, but if not the basic instructions would be there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Quote:What does "became not usable" mean?

You're right, I was not clear (and sorry for my english).

Moving the cursor by menu itens, the backgound was changing, and so the menu item highlight in the selected item, but no label was shown at all. I tried to get back to the Settings screen and also no label at all, then I had to close and edit manually.

I can accept that you don't have obligation to make everything so clear as paid software use to do, but I truly believe that the effort to make things a little more clear are much less than the development effort, and doing this would make much people able to install and use what the team produces.

Cheers.
You were just missing the fonts then.

I'll see if I can add support for checking font existence in the skin prior to loading it. If you wish to track the ticket, it's available here:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7139

If you wish to try the Aeon skin further, you can find links to the fonts here on the forums. I'll ask our web guy to see if a better link is in order in the meantime.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

All valid points. To a regular forum user, skins installation is common and simple. To someone unfamiliar with xbmc, I can see how it could be tough to get your first skin installed.

I'll write a few words on the main skins page explaining the basic process. This should help new users.

@jgslima thanks for the report. Since we work with xbmc every day it can be hard to see things from an outsider's perspective. These kinds of criticisms are always welcome.

TheUni
Another thing that I always thought would help is on the main page where you download XBMC, the page just lists the main stable branch but for new people how will they know about newer skins needing a nightly build. I can only assume they will try a AEON, MediaStream, or Transperancy and just think it's a broken product....

There should be a small paragraph explaining something along the lines of:

1. You should the default skin PM3D, and learn the basics of XBMC before trying the prettier skins.

2. Most of the advanced/newer skins require "nightly builds", and then explain how they are cutting edge and may not be stable etc...

But I do agree with the general point of the thread that AEON has the hardest learning curve, but if people would read the stickies it would probably solve 75% of the problems. I was lucky to find XBMC before AEON so I learned all the basics before the skin came out.
The premise is that no one should have to read the stickies, or visit the forums for that matter, to install a skin. All necessary info should be in the main page of the gallery, or under the faq tab. Problem in Aeon's case is that djh_ hasn't been available to update his gallery yet.

TheUni
r22701 adds fallback to arial.ttf for any fonts that don't exist.

Though it will look (very) naff with Aeon, at least you'll be able to see what you're doing to revert to another skin Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

Quote:r22701 adds fallback to arial.ttf for any fonts that don't exist.

Thanks jmarshall, I'll try that tomorrow. I want to see Aeon.

Sorry for my tone in my first post, I overreacted. As a system developer, I know how time-consuming everything is, and here I am complaying about a software that is incredible and free. I installed XBMC just 2 days ago, and got fascinated, thank you guys for having time to do such things for us.

Wow, enough! Smile
jgslima Wrote:Then I went to "Download" link, wich took me to GitHub.
And on GitHub there's a Homepage link which has this info -

Quote:Download: 0.91 (STARK) (4th April 2009)
For the very latest version, visit the Aeon repository at github (requires these fonts)
PLEASE NOTE: Only the very latest XBMC builds support Aeon Stark and Auriga.
Visit HERE for the latest XBMC Windows binaries.
Visit HERE for the latest XBMC Mac binaries.
Might help if you looked here

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

Fonts not being included with Aeon catches out a few people but as noted above it is pointed out in a few places but I guess if English isn't your first language then its easily missed Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not friendly0