Not friendly
Alright guys chill. Really this has gone from someone really asking for a bit of help if you dig down, to a flame war. there is no need for it. this forum is for support and questions and so on, not for picking on the new guy. Am I right, or am I right?

Now everyone have fun! Rofl
paul Wrote:So why the insults? I did not insult you or anybody else, its just typical of you xbmc devs to attack or insult anybody who does not agree with you!!!Angry

No, we attack and insult those with a false sense of entitlement who always try to drum shit up and offer absolutely nothing positive to the project. Oh, and lazy people, but that's not you. This is clear from your trolling. Somehow you manage to find every post that can be spun into something it's not and use it as some pathetic attempt to demean Team XBMC. If we're such ass holes feel free to leave, your refund is in the mail!
paul Wrote:So why the insults? I did not insult you or anybody else, its just typical of you xbmc devs to attack or insult anybody who does not agree with you!!!Angry

Here's your original post before you edited:

"- hey don't take that tone with me, I don't have a problem with it but new people to the scene expect things to just work.
And why could he not include royalty free ones instead then mr narky pants"

Your edited one is no better. Your tone sucks. You seem to have it out for EVERY XBMC dev.

Do something useful for once... quit posting here.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I think the problem is that the way the information is presented to new users they don't know where to begin. Every piece of information is seperated into its own link or article and can be overwhelming. sometimes its not obvious which article will have your answer. Also the search function on the forums i find a little lacking.. I have searched forums on here for key words and it will say the word zoom is somewhere inside a 200 page thread and i have comb through?! doesn't highlight the keywords or anything. unless i am not doing my searches correctly but thats the default search. I have been on other forums with searches a little more robust.

I think a more step by step artcile from start to finish would work better. I know XBMC has done a great job of putting the information out there. I just think with the all the new users asking questions something should be improved on. Especially when you have users that tend to be sensitive to the tone of everyone's post.

I asked a question a while back and i got some help but it quickly turned into a flame fest without me even saying anything. =P
Dred Wrote:...Every piece of information is seperated into its own link or article and can be overwhelming. sometimes its not obvious which article will have your answer....

Everything you could ever possibly need to know is in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50344 that thread.
Yes it does explain most everything when it comes to Aeon. but if someone is using XBMC for the first time some of it will sound like greek to them. i was stuck on the landscape thumbs i did read that before i posted my question about tv show images zoomed. The reason it didn't sink in for me is that i didn't even know how to change thumbs in XBMC it was only after that fact when i read to check TV information or something and go to the thumb tab that i saw how to change it and why they are zoomed. now that landscape thumbs faq made some sense to me. but without knowing that i kinda just skimmed over it. =P

That was my experience and sure you can go ahead and complain that i was dumb and should have read everything more thoroughly but it doesn't help anyone to be rude about it and it won't stop people from doing what i did either. Since so many people who read the forums seem to get tired of answering the same questions they should look to why people keep asking the questions and improve the documentation.

I am not speaking for Aeon only i mean XBMC in general. I think having a simple step by step guide from install to usage would be better. no multiple links just one guide and once the XBMC or the skin is installed a quick most commonly used or tweaked settings domonstrated. Like how to change TV thumbs etc. that would have helped me out more than getting lost searching forums and browsing through many links of possibly too much information. =P
@Dred: Perhaps you, as a new user who has been through this, would be willing to spend a couple of hours writing something up?

I'm sure other new users would be most appreciative - as would the developers!

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Yes perhaps if i had more time on my hands and actually good at writing up guides (never have made one before) it would be nice to make something that would be helpful to everyone. I was just speaking to the people who seem to get tired of seeing the same posts and flame wars ensue. =P
Dred Wrote:Yes perhaps if i had more time on my hands [snip] it would be nice to make something that would be helpful to everyone.

That's one way to summarize the whole debate. The answers have been provided over and over by many of us who have taken that time. God forbid anyone spend their own time now to look for those same answers again.
-stoli-
At this point I take solace in the fact things come easy to me and reading helps that. *shrugs
stoli Wrote:That's one way to summarize the whole debate. The answers have been provided over and over by many of us who have taken that time. God forbid anyone spend their own time now to look for those same answers again.

yeah because its impossible for anyone to get lost in all the information provided.. I just think its lame to take the time to complain about newbies that missed something in the stickie or guide. Seriously i bet just about every new user asks at least one question on here that was answered before as he was getting accustomed to the way XBMC works for the first time. after a week he probably has most of it figured out and doesn't ask anymore questions like that.. but there is always a first time question and yet i see this attitude on the forums between a newbie getting offended and a pro complaining about it.

But hey thats my opinion. If everyone is cool with the newbie vs pro thing that i see stir up in many threads then go for it.
tslayer Wrote:Here's your original post before you edited:

"- hey don't take that tone with me, I don't have a problem with it but new people to the scene expect things to just work.
And why could he not include royalty free ones instead then mr narky pants"

Your edited one is no better. Your tone sucks. You seem to have it out for EVERY XBMC dev.

Do something useful for once... quit posting here.
Did you stop to think why i edited it? I bet not the reason was simplp because i wanted to avoid yet another flame war. so you then attack me again.
And i apologize for saying all devs in future i will name those i feel are putting new users down for not knowing all the answers.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
You edited it to make you look like you did nothing wrong.

If you want to avoid a flame war, stop with your stupid posts.

This is no better either:

"So why the insults? I did not insult you or anybody else, its just typical of you xbmc devs to attack or insult anybody who does not agree with you!!!"

Saying that after you posted the "narky pants" comment is very contradictory. You surely did attempt to insult.

So, like I said, do yourself and everyone else a favour and please stop posting.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

tslayer Wrote:You edited it to make you look like you did nothing wrong.

If you want to avoid a flame war, stop with your stupid posts.

This is no better either:

"So why the insults? I did not insult you or anybody else, its just typical of you xbmc devs to attack or insult anybody who does not agree with you!!!"

Saying that after you posted the "narky pants" comment is very contradictory. You surely did attempt to insult.

So, like I said, do yourself and everyone else a favour and please stop posting.
Where i come from Narky pants is not an insult besides i edited the post on the fly.
Well this is not going to get us anywhere so we will just have to agree to disagree.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:Where i come from Narky pants is not an insult

I'm having so much trouble with this, I'm just going to lock the thread.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not friendly0