XBMC UPnP MediaServer to Sony Bravia (TV) DLNA client?
Twonky Media Server is also working correctly with a Sony Bravia Television. Unfortunately this media server does not support subtitles, which is, for being non-english, essential. Personally I could do without, but my family cannot. Wink

I can understand that the developers have issues with Sony, but you cannot rule out all valued XBMC users who where silly enough to buy one just because of that.

So, here I am, just another user rooting for Bravia support!

Cheers!
We do not support subtitles over upnp either, so that won't help you much..
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

One more vote for Braiva support -)
elupus Wrote:We do not support subtitles over upnp either, so that won't help you much..

Hmm... that is disappointing.
So, there probably aren’t many DBNL servers ably to stream subtitles. My hopes where set on XBMC.

Knowing this and probably slightly off-topic;
Any ideas on how to get subtitles in a video stream?
Big Grin 
I have had lots of problems getting my 2010 edition Sony Bravia to work with (= recognize video files) on my dlna (= Synology 207+).

Via USB avi's could be read but not via LAN on my Synology NAS.

Today, luckily I found the terrific free program Formatfactory (v. 2.30) which produces MPEG2 (select MPG codec) files which can be read through the lan!! Laugh

Happy Happy Joy Joy Joy.

It's Free and it works!
I have a new Sony KDL55NX810 Bravia TV wired to my Asus RT-N16 router running DD-WRT. Everything works pretty well except running a media server. I've tried a few and the best has been Wild Media Server. It saw and played .avi files but then didnt see other avi files.
Xbmc is giving me the same issues as everyone else by it not seeing compatible video files.
Xbmc also slows my pc way down for some weird reason. I guess Xbmc is just a huge program or something.
Since xbmc is supposed to play every video file in the world I dont understand why the sony tv's have an issue seeing them.
I do have my tv connected through the pass through network plug on my directv but that hasnt stopped any other program. I think I may go back to Wild Media since nobody seems to have much luck here Sad
If anyone is getting a sony tv to play video files well please let me know.
p.s. I dumped xbmc for now. Too many issues with Sony and Wild Media Server works perfectly now right out of the box. No setup, no reading 12 million pages of forums and wikis. Only downside is it's only free for 30 days then it's $40 Sad
I think xbmc is for those people who want to sit a pc right by thier tv and control it through the tv. Xbmc would be great for that. As a media server through the network....no.
geekgirrl Wrote:I have a new Sony KDL55NX810 Bravia TV wired to my Asus RT-N16 router running DD-WRT. Everything works pretty well except running a media server. I've tried a few and the best has been Wild Media Server. ....
I think xbmc is for those people who want to sit a pc right by thier tv and control it through the tv. Xbmc would be great for that. As a media server through the network....no.

I agree.
I have a sony KDL40NX700 and Xbmc does not recognize it through DLNA.
In search for the problem, thinking it was I that did not configure my TV correctly. Thereafter, I used tvmobili and the TV recognized the tvmobili software immediately through DLNA. It doesn't have transcoding so I searched for another piece of software.

I installed serviio and this was also immediately recognized by my TV.
Transcoding also works fine.

Conclusion, Xbmc is not compatible with Sony dlna TV's as other software is working with it.

Xbmc is very nice but maybe I will look into it when this works.
Maybe it is not the main goal of the software and maybe Xbmc focuses on connecting through HDMI
Take a look at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP_Sharing
for capabilities. I too have had a few problems doing what you want to do, but at the end of the day XBMC is built as a media *centre*, not necessarily as a media *server* although it does have some of those attributes.

I use XBMC as a media centre, directly connected to the TV and Sound system via HDMI and it provides a great solution. I also stream music and video over the internet from it to my iphone and other machines, but to do that I added Ampache. In addition I use XBMC to grab media from my other servers running a variety of things like MythTV and it does a great job of that. NB, HDMI is not the only connection option before anyone feels the need to point it out!
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
Hi, has progress been done with xbmc and bravia TV ?

I just bought a sony kdl40ex521, and I am disapointed xbmc is not working on it.
Vuze is working fine, but XBMC is not : the sub-folders are just empty, I thought in the begining that I put the files in the wrong folder, but after reading this thread it's seems it just a compatibility issue.
Did the XBMC team worked on this issue, since it's quite an old thread ?

Cheers
XBMC works great with sony TV's.... just connect the two with a HDMI cable. Blush

Y'all have to remember that XBMC is a client, not a server.
it's not supported. The intention of the built-in UPnP server is to share to other XBMC instances.
As ikke72 said, try Serviio (correct spelling). Small footprint and works very well with Bravia tvs, active development and good support community. Not as "good looking" as xbmc, but then, what is..
If Twonky, miniDNLA, etc work over a network with Sony, and XBMC doesn't, where's the logic in blaming Sony?

It seems a pity that such a useful piece of software is deficient in one important function that other slim servers like minDLNA succeed.
(2012-04-08, 23:54)johng Wrote: If Twonky, miniDNLA, etc work over a network with Sony, and XBMC doesn't, where's the logic in blaming Sony?

It seems a pity that such a useful piece of software is deficient in one important function that other slim servers like minDLNA succeed.

It's just not something XBMC was built for. XBMC is a player, not a server. The server function that exist in XBMC was originally added just so XBMC could share its library with another XBMC installation.

There is building interest in adding transcoding features to either XBMC directly, or an "XBMC server" type set up, but for any of that to actually happen someone who can program/develop needs to take the lead and go for it.
(2012-04-08, 23:54)johng Wrote: It seems a pity that such a useful piece of software is deficient in one important function that other slim servers like minDLNA succeed.

Yes, this is a pity. Having XBMC up and running 24/7, it would be really cool to integrate one solution with smart TV's. As it currently stands, our LG smart TV's can fully stream content from XBMC via DLNA but cannot call playlists. Almost...so...close...to...perfection.. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC UPnP MediaServer to Sony Bravia (TV) DLNA client?1