Anyone using SiliconDust HDTV?
How do you get it to work?

I know the question sounds weird, but this is my situation:

Installed the latest HDHomeRun software in my virtualbox image of Win 7 (do not run windows natively on any machine any more), it updated the firmware on the unit and let me configure the unit. I then had a little trouble creating the channel files for XBMC (.strm), until I realised that XBMC has to be installed on the Win-box for the app to create the channel files. Running XBMC in virtualbox does not seem to work, but since this was not my intention anyway, I skipped that. Tried the HDHomerun Quick TV app in Win just to verify that everything is working ok. The channels came up, but the app was lagging. I had both audio and video, and it was watchable however even with the lag.

Then I copied over the channel files to my linux filesystem and started XBMC. In the GUI in XBMC, I added the directory as a video source, and browsed to it and started it on one of the tuners.

Here is where my issue appeared, I then got audio for about half a second, and then the GUI in XBMC hangs for about a minute or so before I can browse again. Choosing the other tuner or choosing a tuner for another channel renders the same problem, audio for about half a second and then a hanging GUI/app for about a minute.

Do I have to install anything on XBMC for this to work, or should it work out of the box with XBMC? All guides I can find refer to running this setup with mythTV, but if I do not have to, I would like to avoid having to install it.
Have now tried this on both my XBMC/Linux boxes, and my trusted old Xbox with the same result/problem.

This is frustrating to say the least....

Thanks!

Update:

Got VLC to stream the channels to me from the HDHomerun by following this guide:
http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/2009/03/2...ew-part-2/

The GUI shows up, and I can now watch TV using the GUI and VLC under Linux. This tells me that it is something with XBMC that I have not been able to figure out.

What is the trick with XBMC? I want to use XBMC.....
Not enough information I am afraid - provide us with a debug log when trying to play one of the channels/strm files. That will give u information like: hardware, xbmc revision, exact error mesages.
Thanks!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The error is consistent in the way that I get no video on any of my 3 XBMC instances.

I get it on my old trusted Xbox, on my Antec Black Fusion/Asus quad core HTPC and on my new Asrock ION HTPC.

All of them are running different versions of XBMC, with the XBOX running XBMC SVN 22196 / Aug 16, the Antec/Asus box running XBMC from r21706 / Jul 16 and finally the Asrock ION HTPC running XBMC r22743 / Sep 5.
Both Linux boxes run full install of Ubuntu 9.04.

Desktop effects are off on both Linux boxes.

On the Asrock ION I have had crashes when this happens, here is a crashlog from the Asrock from this morning:
http://pastebin.com/m4e3dec7f

And here is a debug log from about an hour later:
http://pastebin.com/m5178be20

And another crashlog from the same time:
http://pastebin.com/m3c548aa1

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist in debugging this....
HDHomeRun (I have one myself, and it's great) is currently broken, though it's a rather easy fix to get it back. Problem is, with all the other volatility in the XBMC codebase right now, it's not a good time to be trying it out.

I'll get the fix in when I can so that maybe in a few days it will be usable.

TheUni
Thanks!

Good thing to know that it was not me messing something up....

Did my logfiles help you locate the issue, or did you already know?

It seems to have been broken for a very long time, at least since early July.

Am I the only one trying to use the HDHomerun?

Can I go back to an earlier version of XBMC where it works, and in that case, does anyone know in what version it worked?

Whenever you have the fix in, please reply, and I will try it out again.

Regards,

//Odin
Fixed in r22782. Though keep in mind that the status of recent builds is known to be buggy.

TheUni
Thanks!

Will give it a try!

...and yes, I know it is kind of unstable right now....
When will this release be available on the SVN PPA?

The last one I get is from Sept 6 and has the following in the logfile: "Built on Sep 6 2009 (SVN:Unknown)"
It's probably going to be a while since the code is currently under very heavy development after the last merge (we obviously don't want a known-broken build in the ppa). Your best bet if you're really itching for it would be to compile r25528 yourself and backport the fix (it's an easy oneliner). Otherwise, you may be waiting a few weeks.

TheUni
Are any devs planning on adding more integrated native support for the HDHomeRun? Does there need to be a full PVR back-end to read the HDHomeRun channels as something other than streams?

I understand other things are taking priority right now, but I'm trying to get an idea of what the current status is to see if I should go out and buy a PVR back-end.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone using SiliconDust HDTV?0