[LINUX] how to install xbmc on debian
Smile 
Hi

I am a hapy user of debian squeeze. I always wanted to have xbmc on my os. Problem was that xbmc linux port is only for ubuntu. I have build a dummy package to resolve one annoying dependency: liblzo1. Just download it and

PHP Code:
dpkg -i liblzo1_2.03-1_all.deb
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ jaunty main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt
-get install xbmc 

voila now you have working xbmc without any problems.

this does not work with debian lenny and previous becouse they have too old packages. is it possible to change this dependency in future releases of xbmc so it will support debian ?
lenovo y530
nvidia gf 9600 512mb
Debian squeeze
To be honest it's easier to do this (assuming you install the dependancies listed in XBMC/README.linux) :

Code:
svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC
cd XBMC
./configure --disable-debug
make
make install
no it is not becaouse you have to compile xbmc. i offer solution without compiling.
lenovo y530
nvidia gf 9600 512mb
Debian squeeze
The XBMC version in that PPA is from May and will not be up to par with many of the current skins and features.
If you want to use an outdated release then by all means, but if you use skins with newer functionality you will be SOL.
It has been added to the debian multimedia repos - and that is on 64bit!!

The svn number has todays date.

I'm moving my machine back to debian Smile
oh cool. ty for the info
lenovo y530
nvidia gf 9600 512mb
Debian squeeze
Another bonues - he is using the external libs (ffmpeg etc)

Before, when I would fastforward or rewind a movie, I would have a jarbled picture until it played enough to catch up on all the pieces of the picture. Now, there is no picture loss at all.
Are the dependencies handled with the multimedia repo install? I've made a mess trying to get this going with Lenny. Every walk-through i've found uses a different SVN. Even the one in the wiki isn't dumbed down enough for me. They all seem to be skipping steps, although it could just be me. :confused2:

But if a simple aptitude install xbmc will do the trick now then i'm gettin' Squeeze!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] how to install xbmc on debian0