SMB access time in XBMCLive
Question 
Hi all,

I just bought a new ASRock 330 box.
Using 9.04.1, I've booted XBMC off a USB stick. Working nicely, but having a few issues, can somebody help please?

1) Accessing SMB shares (specifically, a NAS drive (100)) stores 88 standard-def movies. XBMC takes about a minute to open this share in MyVideos! What's going on?

The same goes for my other drive, which stores music (NAS MyBookWorld Edition 500GB, 100)). Although that takes less time to open/view.

This used to be lighting quick from my xbox1. The only thing I can think of is that the ASRock box im using is Gigabit (every other item on my network is only 100). Very unlikely: but I've also considered the USB memstick speed to be a factor (it's not terribly fast, and it's FAT32).

2) Watching movies from DVD: I have a lot of HD movies stored on DVD-R discs. The discs are in UDF format. The disc does not auto-play. I suspect, because its UDF. When I put the disc in, I get a notification "mounted removeable harddrive". If I add a source in MyVideos of the DVD drive, I get the error "Path not found or invalid".

So I read the wiki:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Types_of...al_Sources
which said to enter "UDF://" as a source but I still get the same error.

Surely XBMC can read a UDF disk? Sad The xbox360 can do that and it isn't even a dedicated media centre!

3) "Bootmediamnt". This item appears as a source in every menu (MyPics, MyVideos etc..) -Can it be removed please? How do I do that?

4) Storing HD movies on the HDD of the ASRock box. As an short-term alternative to buying more NAS or USB storage, I want to copy all my movies onto the 320GB HDD of the ASRock box. How do I get XBMCLive to then read that HDD? Is it possible?

5) I used the guide here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49781 to create XBMCLive on my USB stick. When I boot from the stick, I get a Unetbootin bootmenu giving me a number of options... Boot XBMCLive in SafeMode, boot XBMCLive (NVidia), boot XBMCLive (Intel), boot XBMC (default).

The timer counts down 10 seconds, then it launches the default. Is there any way to get rid of this menu entirely and just have XBMCLive boot off the USB stick straight off? (no menu, and no 10 second wait).

6) Music is playin waaayyy too fast. What's going wrong?

7) The technique to remove the "X" cursor on the screen does not work for me, I've followed the instructions to the letter. (using Ubuntu 9.04 (off CD) and XBMCLive 9.04.1. Neither does the method for enabling the 24Hz feature.

Other than that, pretty happy to be playing HD movies finally, but I'm not about to go scanning media to the database with the current network speed problems.

This is seriously making me think of dragging back the old xbox1.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks.
Can someone please help? It's driving me crazy all these problems.
Hi

1) I reckon it is directly due to the flash drive xbmc is installed on. I suffered major slow downs until i upgraded to a 2.5" sata drive.

2)Sorry i dont use dvd's

3)No idea. Can you remove the source from the context menu?

4)You need to remove "xbmc=nodiskmount" from /boot/grub/menu.lst. Then xbmc will mount your internal hdd and you can see it in add source.

5)You can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst change default to 1, you can also edit the timeout duration here.

6) ?

7)"sudo apt-get install unclutter" should get rid of it.

My advise is to follow this guide from the wiki. Install it onto your internal hdd for best performance

Hope this helps

cheers
Thank you for the reply, and thanks for the answers. Big Grin

I'm sure I can tackle most of those things, but the answer to 4) ... I couldn't get that to work. I tried removing just that single bit of text, no apples. So I then just removed every mention of "mountdisk" in the LST file, but that didn't work either. I'm lost again.

I might end up trying to install it on a separate partition in the end (becuase I also cant see a way of removing the BOOTMEDIAMNT from the sources) - you cant remove it from the context menu. Sad

Thank you also for pointing me in the direction of the XBMCBuntu guide, I think that will probably be my next shot. pity about the hard drive mount tho.. that is baffling me..
No problem Smile

Are you dual booting with another operating system? If not, you dont need a seperate partition and the diskmount issue wont matter when you install on the internal hdd. The xbmcbuntu guide is basically xbmc-live anyway although you may want to try this script for a easier install and better compatibilty for the ASRock 330.

cheers
Thanks for the tips regarding "jaunty jackalope". Honestly, where do they come up with these names!?

I managed to get Live to read the HDD, the nodisk flag/term, was in a different config file. Sorted.

I will probably try the JJ version tonight. thanks again. Hey scotland eh? Me too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB access time in XBMCLive0