XBMC 64-bit [Linux]
Hey Folks.

I've been doing some searching and haven't been able to find much data -- I've only found a few posts regarding 64-bit XBMC on 64-bit Linux distros. It looks like there are a few issues, can anyone confirm?

Also, does anyone have any experience running 32-bit XBMC on a 64-bit Linux distro? Chrooted or w/ 32-bit execution compiled into the Kernel? I'd like to be able to have the OS see all of my RAM if possible.

Thanks in advance.
bump
Up the creek there is a forum specific to Linux, most Linux people are reading that one... request to have your thread moved to http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=52 ...
Mine works since I upgraded to Karmic Koala. Here is the thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60287
meatbiscuit Wrote:Hey Folks.

I've been doing some searching and haven't been able to find much data -- I've only found a few posts regarding 64-bit XBMC on 64-bit Linux distros. It looks like there are a few issues, can anyone confirm?

Also, does anyone have any experience running 32-bit XBMC on a 64-bit Linux distro? Chrooted or w/ 32-bit execution compiled into the Kernel? I'd like to be able to have the OS see all of my RAM if possible.

Thanks in advance.

I've been on 64 bit ubuntu for a while now, typically rolling my own XBMC from SVN but recently using SVN builds from PPA. No 64-bit specific problems to report.
I am running the latest 9.11 alpha2, in both 32bit (jailchroot) and 64bit. The 64 bit improved a lot with respect to 9.04 however there are quirks.

Some plugins I use often such as navi-x do not display well in 9.11 64 bit, for some reason the icons overlap the text in the feed lists.

Some plugins like apple movie trailers do not work at all.

Video and audio playback seem to be on the bright side though. Streams including those of navi-x are also working pretty well.

So overall xbmc 64bit is quite usable but not yet at a par with 32bit, IMHO
Further... there is an awful crasher when scanning or updating Music Libraries in the 64bit version of 9.11alpha2. 32-bit used to work just perfect (never had a problem, even with 9.11alpha1).

Music playback also seems to be quite unstable with some albums constantly crashing xbmc.

OTOH, video and internet stream playback seems to work fine.

So in a nutshell, 64-bit versions of xbmc are not yet there as regards music and right now I would stay away of them (that is, if I could Sad ...); but for movies and streams it seems fine.

We will see soon if the situation improves in future alphas or betas of 9.11 (there are bugs opened for the above issues).
Hum 64 bits is ok for playback here too (apple movies lite working too)

but I have an issue using the control webserver using "iphone xbmc remote"
It disconnects randomly and I don't have this issue using chrooted 32bit version...
I was quite sure this problem disappear using ubuntu (lucid version) but now compiling xbmc on arch 64bits the problem reappear...

Anyone with the same problem ?
Try Arch linux. I've played with xbmc on it and everything worked but the webserver which is a known issue.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
if you use the PPAs and ubuntu amd64, it installs without a hitch, you just run it like any other program.
htpcero Wrote:Further... there is an awful crasher when scanning or updating Music Libraries in the 64bit version of 9.11alpha2. 32-bit used to work just perfect (never had a problem, even with 9.11alpha1).

Music playback also seems to be quite unstable with some albums constantly crashing xbmc.

OTOH, video and internet stream playback seems to work fine.

So in a nutshell, 64-bit versions of xbmc are not yet there as regards music and right now I would stay away of them (that is, if I could Sad ...); but for movies and streams it seems fine.

We will see soon if the situation improves in future alphas or betas of 9.11 (there are bugs opened for the above issues).

Update: latest 9.11 release as of now (beta1) fixes all above problems and seems rock solid for both music, video, plugins, native on linux/64bits. The only outstanding issue is a display problem with a plugin: navi-x in particular, text overlaps icons in the listings, only on the 64 bit version. Ticket is opened, I'm hoping this will be fixed before final release, as navi-x is one of the coolest plugins out there
I agree with the above, everything works ok using 64 bit (on karmic, lucid or arch) except the web server.

and the iphone remote control is *very* *very* cool Smile

I can't find the opened bug on trac for this...

There is absolutly nothing on the debug log, nothing seems to really crash. but still the iphone client disconnect randomly (even without touching anything).
With 32 bit version (chrooted or not) it works perfectly

edit : here is the closed ticket http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4970, my guess is that there is still some int getting those 64bits pointers...
Hello everybody

I was thinking in installing ubuntu 9.10 64 bits and well, has been 5 months since last post, so I want to know your opinions now.

Are there any new or major bugs in XBMC in ubuntu 64 bits?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 64-bit [Linux]0