Fixed Disc vs USB install
I noticed that when I install XBMC Live 9.04.1 it says that for it to be a fixed disc install that the disc needs to be larger than 5 gb. So my question is what is the difference between the fixed install and the usb install, and if there is a difference in the install is there any way to after the install convert the usb to a fix install?
So long and thanks for all the fish.
when you install to USB it is still a Live "CD" i.e. iso based setup.
So is there any difference when I ssh to the usb install and attempt to do upgrades, or will it act as though it is a fixed disc?
vikjon0 Wrote:when you install to USB it is still a Live "CD" i.e. iso based setup.

wrong, the destination disk contains the content of the ISO, whereas the regular install has the root filesystem expanded on an ext3 partition.
So when I chose to add permanent storage to my 4 gb SD card is it the same install as it would have been if I had had a 6 gb card and told it to make it a fixed disk?
With USB Install: disk is formatted as FAT, files from ISO are copied over and optionally a permanent storage is created. All changes are segregated in the permanent storage file.
With fixed disk approach: disk is partitioned with 3 partitions (system, swap, home) and system/home are traditional ext3 filesystems.
So then the best way to upgrade, and use the latest SVNs is to the do a minimal ubuntu install and then install the latest SVN. With the USB install you can't really upgrade it because the drive structure isn't what XBMC would be expecting. Or am I totally off on this line of thought.
USB install is upgradable as well, totally transparent to the system.
Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fixed Disc vs USB install0