Using My Own Pictures As Background
I know how to select them..

But they get squashed/squeezed when they appear in the menu's..

How do I solve this Huh

Txx
You can try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=58159&page=4
or irvanview to resize the pictures to fit the dimensions of the pictures that you replaced them with.
When posting about a problem please submit a debug log to give you the best chance at getting an answer. It's easy, painless, and helps provide necessary information.
And where do I find the original files/size Huh
They're inside of the file Textures.xpr in the Media folder, but you'd need a special program to see the files inside of the xpr file. (xpr express)

The background pictures are 1280x720.

What pictures are you replacing with your own?
When posting about a problem please submit a debug log to give you the best chance at getting an answer. It's easy, painless, and helps provide necessary information.
Read my first post.. I changed to the Mediastream skin and that allows to replace the 'menupictures' ..

When I select my pictures they are stretched/squeezed depending on the picture..

This is what I want to solve..
You're going to have to crop the pictures or choose pictures that won't get stretched out and deformed. The stretching is done automatically by XBMC. You need pictures with the aspect ratio that matches your screen.

If you've got it set to 4:3 then that's what you'll need your pictures to be. If it's 16:9 then make then make the pictures that way. Just open up an image editor and crop them accordingly. Test a couple of pictures out and see which works best for you. As long as you save a backup of the original picture, then you can't really do any harm.
And crop them to what resolution ...?? 1280/720 Huh
1280x720 is a 16:9 ratio. If that's what you're tv or monitor is set for, then that would work fine. This should work for most cases.

If you've got an older TV then 640x480 would work for 4:3.

Here's a list of video resolutions.
I have the same problem. I am running 4:3 (1024x768) and I have a picture that I sized to 1024x768. I tell XBMC to use the picture I sized and it's stretched and cropped in XBMC.

When I play slideshows of my pictures in XBMC (the ones that I've sized to 1024x768), they all look perfect. But when I try using backgrounds that I've made to be the same size, they don't display properly.

*wonders if xbmc is displaying at a different res than 1024x768, even though that's what res my desktop is running*....

Ok, so I just ripped one of the images from the xpr file in mediastream. It's a 1280x720 image and it looks perfect on my screen with xbmc configured for 1024x768. So I took one of my images and resized it to 1280x720 and tried it in xbmc.... still doesn't display like it should (it's cropped/stretched). So now I've tried both 1280x720 and 1024x768 and neither is working right Sad

Damnit! I just created a set of replacement images for the music portion of the textures.xpr file for mediastream (there are three images that make up the background image for each menu item). I created images that were the exact same size and color depth and named them the exact same names. I recompiled a new textures.xpr file with the updated music images. I fired up XBMC and looked at the background for Music on the home menu.... the background is black (null/empty)... nothing is displaying at all now.... How freaking hard can this be to make a damn image that fits the screen like the other images?....

Finally!! I found a way to make it work with my setup, and hopefully this will help others who are stuck trying to do the same thing. I took my original image (1024x768), copied it, created a new image 1280x768 and pasted the copy in the center of the new image and saved the image as a png file (I don't think it matters if you use jpg or png in this case, but I went with png at 32-bit this time). I opened xbmc and configured mediastream to use my two newly created images and they look so much better! They fit about as well as they're going to now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using My Own Pictures As Background0