Can I scan items into the library with a relative path?
I'm loading up a hdd for my brother with a bunch of media and I plan to also put XBMC on the same harddrive. I was hoping to be able to get it all setup with everything scanned into the library in XBMC but the problem is I have no idea what drive letter it'll be once it gets put in my brothers computer.
What does that have to do with relative paths?

I have no idea if windows has anything smart to, attach a device to a specific mount point. Good odds it doesn't.
althekiller Wrote:What does that have to do with relative paths?

I have no idea if windows has anything smart to, attach a device to a specific mount point. Good odds it doesn't.

Maybe relative is the wrong wording. Basically I'll be installing xbmc in F:\XBMC on my computer and all the media is going to be in F:\Movies, so when I scan everything the paths would be stored as:

L:\movies\Panic Room.avi

But when I take the HDD to my brothers, F: may already be in use and I'll have to set the drive up as G: and then everything in the library will no longer work. I was hoping there was maybe some way to just store the paths as \movies\Panic Room.avi which could mean to look on the same drive that XBMC is stored on.
Why not call your brother and ask him what drive letters are in use?
-stoli-
stoli Wrote:Why not call your brother and ask him what drive letters are in use?

That would be too easy. Smile

Actually, I think I'll just remount the drive as something like N: on my end. I doubt that would be in use.
I use a tool called USB Drive Letter Manager on all my machines, so that USB drives always use the same drive letters in the sequence you configure. I have mine set to use X,Y,Z. So the first USB drive I plug in would use X, then the next would use Y, etc.

It works very well and it's free.

You can find it here --> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

You could set it up on your side and have your brother set it up with the same drive letter settings. Then you can be certain the drive will get the correct drive letter.
Just change the drive to something bigger like you mentioned. Another good way to do it is to use network shares instead, and then you could just change his computer name to whatever your computer's name is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I scan items into the library with a relative path?0