Poll: Do you think a different skin should be selected as default?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Aeon
16.85%
Transparency
15.73%
MediaStream
13.48%
MiniMeedia
2.25%
Rapier
10.11%
Ellipsis
1.12%
Other skin (please specify in the thread)
5.62%
PM3 (HD) is fine
34.83%
Total
89 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

Does PM3(HD) still fit the bill as standard skin?
Other than the giant controls that pop up on the screen, I think the default is great.

I am using aeon now, and dig that too.
The only ones I would even consider (as a new user who started using XBMC only yesterday, and has now tried out about 7 skins) are the default and Rapier. All the others are cluttered, rely too much on Fanart, don't work well enough with the mouse, or just aren't intuitive enough. Loading up with the default I was able to figure things out reasonably quickly, but as soon as I switched to Rapier everything suddenly just clicked. It was exactly what I was expecting when I started up XBMC for the first time with regards to how navigation and the mouse works, and it was easily the only reason I stuck with XBMC (and am now loving it).

So my vote goes to Rapier, as it actually made me understand things better after using it, and it supports the mouse SO MUCH more than most. If not Rapier, then the default as all the others pale in comparison as far as something that would be useful for a first time user (which is really all this discussion should be about).

Mouse support is obviously important in a default skin even if you personally don't like mouse-supported skins. A huge amount of the userbase (especially potential users) are using mice, and the default should support them. This is why my vote goes to Rapier.

P.S. The default skin really needs TV Shows added to it though, it's really confusing that it's not there.
Mouse support is IMO needed for all the arguments raised above. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect, but it needs to be usable out of the box. This rules out almost all skins, mostly because they use things like wraplists and hidden menus which simply do not work well with the mouse (at least not without care taken to get it working).

I think there's been basically a handful of skins that have worked well with the mouse (or had the potential to work well with the mouse):

PM3/PM3.HD (Jezz_X did wonders with PM3.HD to get it working so nicely.)
Basics 101
Xbox Classic
Focus
Rapier

I'm probably forgetting a couple - apologies if it was your work - remind us about it!

I'm not sure whether or not there's anything else we can do to improve mouse support on those controls (wrap and fixed list being the obvious ones) that don't work well with it by default. Suggestions are welcome - start another thread.

As for which skin I think is the most intuitive with a remote or keyboard, I use Mediastream_Redux. Rapier and Focus are the skins that I think have the most potential at being as good as PM3.HD in this respect.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I say Xperience ... Yeah that skin will be great. Tongue

EDIT: not advertising ...
I still like pm3 and pm3 hd for the defaults. They run on anything, are simple to use, make sense and look good.

I do like some of the other skins out there, but they can't all run on everything (xbox and appletv) without having a clunky feel. (granted that is older hardware, but still used by many folks)
XBMCG33K Wrote:I say Xperience ... Yeah that skin will be great. Tongue

Please stop advertising ..
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan Wrote:Please stop advertising ..

LOL boohoo just having some fun mate chillax.
vdrfan Wrote:Please stop advertising ..

I was thinking the same thing. Its getting boring now.
harryzimm Wrote:I was thinking the same thing. Its getting boring now.

Meh, get over it already.
I think PM3.HD / PM3 is fine. Agree with the need for a skin that will run on most / all hardware XBMC is able to run on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does PM3(HD) still fit the bill as standard skin?0