Main menu blackdrops need to be in TIFF format?
Hi!

I'm seeing some strange problems with the backdrop image feature in the main menu and thought I'd share what I've come up with if anyone else runs into the same issue.

I've converted some .jpegs downloaded from http://www.aeonproject.com to .bmp format for performance reasons as recommended on the site, but Xbmc only shows a black background for those files. I checked xbmc.log and saw it complaining about "Not a TIFF file, bad magic number" so I converted the files to .tiff and now everything works just fine. What gives?

Running Xbmc SVN 23196 on Ubuntu 9.04, amd64.

/Martin
Mine all point to a folder full of .Jpgs and works fine I am on 23210 on Win7 Maybe a linux thing ?
Jpg/bmp files work fine, corrupted or trunicated files do not, likely one or more of your files contain errors.
The message you are seeing is probably a general error and it's not format specific as it should be.
hikaricore Wrote:Jpg/bmp files work fine, corrupted or trunicated files do not, likely one or more of your files contain errors.
The message you are seeing is probably a general error and it's not format specific as it should be.

I used ImageMagick/mogrify to convert the .jpeg sources to .bmp. file returns:

/home/xbmc/backdrops/pictures$ file millajovovich1080.bmp
millajovovich1080.bmp.old: PC bitmap, Windows 3.x format, 1920 x 1080 x 24

...and the file opens just fine in Paint.Net on Windows. If I save the file to a new bitmap using Paint.Net it still won't load in Xbmc/Aeon. Strange.

/Martin
No idea what paint.net is. Try saving the files with an actual image editor such as gimp or photoshop.
hikaricore Wrote:No idea what paint.net is. Try saving the files with an actual image editor such as gimp or photoshop.

It is "an actual image editor" (http://www.getpaint.net/).

/Martin
Just try another image editor and see if it makes a difference.
I have been having this exact problem. pointing aeon to the folder containing backdrops used to work beautifully. for some reason the feature became broken somewhere on some build for me. Ive even tried changing it to point to copys of the folder in the skin directory, on a network dive etc.. Mine are all standard 1080 and 720 backdrops in .jpg extenstion with names like doctorwho1080.jpg . All i get now is a black screen on the main menu for all the options.

Edit: the only place ive noticed that display when im under movies when nothing is selected ie. level up (...).
Wraith88 Wrote:I have been having this exact problem. pointing aeon to the folder containing backdrops used to work beautifully. for some reason the feature became broken somewhere on some build for me. Ive even tried changing it to point to copys of the folder in the skin directory, on a network dive etc.. Mine are all standard 1080 and 720 backdrops in .jpg extenstion with names like doctorwho1080.jpg . All i get now is a black screen on the main menu for all the options.

Edit: the only place ive noticed that display when im under movies when nothing is selected ie. level up (...).

Are you using at least SVN 22516?
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
Thanks was still using 21193 Wink. That fixed it for my test PC. Going to test on my HTPC now.
Okay, now I've tried converting http://www.nekrosoft.net/aeon/bg_picture...ty1080.jpg into every Windows bitmap format that my Gimp version supports:

32 bits X8 R8 G8 B8
24 bits R8 G8 B8
16 bits X1 R5 G5 B5
16 bits R5 G6 B5

None of them work, but both JPEG and TIFF do so I'm happy anyway. :p

/Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Main menu blackdrops need to be in TIFF format?0