Why no Blue Ray Support Possible?
Hey,
i ask myself why Bluerays didn't work under XBMC?
I have a PS3,but i wont watch this on my HTPC.
Why it is not possible to watch it directly from XBMC?
Sry for my bad english,and greetz from germany!Smile
there is no opensource playback library available
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

the powers that be decides how you want to use the media you bought, not you. you shouldn't be surprised, you after all you paid THEM to bend over and let them and let them have their way...
ahh always with the colorfull replies spiff Smile
DarkMasterCh1ef Wrote:Hey,

Just rip them to your Hard Drive, that's what I do Wink

BluRay is a proprietary system, and any equipment 'decoding' it must pay a licence to do so. This means that YOU pay for this in the price of your BluRay player, or PS3.

In somebody writes a decoder (open source or otherwise), then they must pay a license fee for using BluRay intellectual property. Strangely this means Sony et al, will receive a fee from both the disk drive manufacturer AND the decoding software company...
XBMC isn't the the game of upsetting our wonderful friends in the Far East!
AnalogKid Wrote:BluRay is a proprietary system, and any equipment 'decoding' it must pay a licence to do so. This means that YOU pay for this in the price of your BluRay player, or PS3.

In somebody writes a decoder (open source or otherwise), then they must pay a license fee for using BluRay intellectual property. Strangely this means Sony et al, will receive a fee from both the disk drive manufacturer AND the decoding software company...
XBMC isn't the the game of upsetting our wonderful friends in the Far East!

But open source DVD decoding applications exists, did they have to pay a license fee?
Hardware: ASUS P5N7A-VM with 2GB RAM and Intel Celeron 430 1,8GHz @ 3,06GHz
google libdecss and see just how much crap those guys had to go through for liberating your media
Are you referring to DVD Jon? AFAIK his the only one that have gotten in legal trouble. I know people say that libdeccss isn't legal to use in the US, but that doesn't stop the rest of us to use it.
Hardware: ASUS P5N7A-VM with 2GB RAM and Intel Celeron 430 1,8GHz @ 3,06GHz
well, he took the main beating as he was the only name they could connect to it. so yes, that's the case i'm pointing to
I just posted up a proposal which I think could be workable and not have to even deal with decss or reverse engineering (other than reading the playlist files).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59250
I'm fairly new to XBMC, but from what I have read Blu-Ray really could be the death of XBMC, and any other similar software.

From what I understand there is no way legally for XBMC to be able to playback a Blu-Ray disc stored on a HDD. Due to the legal complexities, nor can there ever be (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The only way it may be possible in future is for XBMC to play an inserted Blu-Ray disc from the local drive.... but obviously this esentially renders XBMC as a standalone blu-ray player.

That said, not many people have the available storage to rip a decent size collection of blu-rays to HDD anyway. A collection of 100 movies would take up around 2Tb.

Hopefully some legal loophole will become evident in the future and make it possible.
your blu-rays are un-encrypted on your hard drive, then any software which can play back m2ts files can play them (sans menus etc).
spozen Wrote:But open source DVD decoding applications exists, did they have to pay a license fee?

No, but they're also illegal to use in the United States.

Unless you *buy* a player with a license.

No. I'm not kidding.

When you buy blu ray, you support blu ray.
It was a marketing gag saying that "blu ray" won the war of new digital video media. That's a lie because blu ray lost since the day they decided to protect it with DRM. Blu Ray is no good choice to buy, but most of the people just don't know. Unfortunately the good of information lacks freedom and most people lacks knowledge. It's a vicious circle.
That's why it doesn't run under linux.

To the movie labels: Give us freedom so we can use blu ray player AND use XBMC. There are people who are willing to BUY material, as long as it is just playable where we want it to be played.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no Blue Ray Support Possible?1