Why no Blue Ray Support Possible?
It might be possible to install Virtual Box and install Windows to that, and possibly run it there?
Is it that xmbc will not support the playing of a Blu-Ray disc or even Blu-Ray that has been wrapped in a M2TS container? The reason I ask is I muxed a Blu-Ray into a M2TS container and xbmc was able to start playing the file however, it started to stutter and eventually became unwatchable. At first I was thinking it was either a corrupted M2TS file or the hardware I was playing it on was lacking the power to render the movie. Before I spend a few hours troubleshooting can someone clear the air. If you mux a Blu-Ray to an M2TS container can/should xbmc be able to play it?
hamd01 Wrote:I'm fairly new to XBMC, but from what I have read Blu-Ray really could be the death of XBMC, and any other similar software.

From what I understand there is no way legally for XBMC to be able to playback a Blu-Ray disc stored on a HDD. Due to the legal complexities, nor can there ever be (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The only way it may be possible in future is for XBMC to play an inserted Blu-Ray disc from the local drive.... but obviously this esentially renders XBMC as a standalone blu-ray player.

That said, not many people have the available storage to rip a decent size collection of blu-rays to HDD anyway. A collection of 100 movies would take up around 2Tb.

Hopefully some legal loophole will become evident in the future and make it possible.

Did you forget about the rest of us? It's legal in some country's. US isn't only country in the world you know.

pbrille,

I hate blu ray as much as everyone else do, but what can you do if you want to watch Terminator in full HD with lossless audio? The same boycott debate was up when DVDs came. The boycott didn't have much effect there and now DVDs are playable on Linux.
Hardware: ASUS P5N7A-VM with 2GB RAM and Intel Celeron 430 1,8GHz @ 3,06GHz
XBMC will play a decrypted blu-ray just as it'll play a decrypted DVD. The difference is libraries exist to decrypt the DVD on the fly that XBMC uses. Technically it's up to you to know the legality of it.

It's illegal to circumvent copy protection under the DMCA without permission (usually a license). So if you're watching DVD Movies directly in XBMC chances are you're breaking the law (in the US).

Now chances are you're not going to get in any trouble for it. I don't think decrypted direct playback has been tested in court yet.

But checkout realdvd.com for current updates on the real network realdvd software, which actually decrypts, then adds new DRM to the re-encoded files for use on portables. The movie industry isn't even happy with that.
icemarr Wrote:If you mux a Blu-Ray to an M2TS container can/should xbmc be able to play it?

blu-ray is already in an mt2s container, you shouldn't need to mux anything.

and yes, xbmc can play any un-encrypted m2ts/mkv file. this is assuming there is nothing wrong with your mux or the file itself.

it comes down to cpu power (3+ ghz recommended) or a compatible vdapu videocard if using linux.
dan1son Wrote:XBMC will play a decrypted blu-ray just as it'll play a decrypted DVD. The difference is libraries exist to decrypt the DVD on the fly that XBMC uses. Technically it's up to you to know the legality of it.

It's illegal to circumvent copy protection under the DMCA without permission (usually a license). So if you're watching DVD Movies directly in XBMC chances are you're breaking the law (in the US).

Now chances are you're not going to get in any trouble for it. I don't think decrypted direct playback has been tested in court yet.

But checkout realdvd.com for current updates on the real network realdvd software, which actually decrypts, then adds new DRM to the re-encoded files for use on portables. The movie industry isn't even happy with that.

Yeah, so the answer to the OP is:

Blu ray will be supported when someone writes a library that can decrypt blu ray on the fly. And I know there are developers working on this, check out doom9 these guys always have something up there sleeve.
Hardware: ASUS P5N7A-VM with 2GB RAM and Intel Celeron 430 1,8GHz @ 3,06GHz
I think I read here in the forum or over at boxee, that someone of doom9 already hacked the bluRay encryption and was able to directly play it on linux.

But until (if ever) a free/openSource bluRay encoder is available/legal/whatever, I'd already be happy in the meantime, if XBMC would index my BluRay Backups correctly. The folder structure is well known, just like on DVDs, but XBMC seems to have issues with it. So are there any chances to at least index the movies correctly? It'll also be a big improvement to have offline/physical media (you know - real discs you can touch and make scratches on - no illegal downloads and rips) indexed in the library. Once they're properly indexed, it shouldn't be a big deal to configure some external player software (which is bundled with every bluRay-drive) make it play the bluRays and HD-DVDs. I don't even mind to switch between the software by hand - just make the movies appear in the library.
@da-anda

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=414...stcount=11
Hey, for information, here is an opensource Blueray chapter parser project:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1326193

and the starting project of libblueray ( but that's just the beginning of the dev ).

http://my-trac.assembla.com/libbluray/

and a patch for mplayer to support blueray playing: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=149392
Just to make things clear...

An open source bluray decoder doesn't mean it's legal.

I am not on any side of Legal vs Anything Goes.... just a technical fact. Open Source doesn't make anything 'ok'.
I'm sure most people know this, but there are quite a few who make the false assumption that all things Open Source are good and right ;-)

When we ALL know... only XBMC is good and right!
AnalogKid Wrote:Just to make things clear...

An open source bluray decoder doesn't mean it's legal.

And just because it's ILLEGAL in the united states doesn't mean every country has insane copyright laws.

If XBMC is primarily hosted in the US, then it might be a slight bump. It may turn into the old XBMC for XBOX thing where they won't give you the binaries but T3CH in some far away land will.
darkscout Wrote:And just because it's ILLEGAL in the united states doesn't mean every country has insane copyright laws.

If XBMC is primarily hosted in the US, then it might be a slight bump. It may turn into the old XBMC for XBOX thing where they won't give you the binaries but T3CH in some far away land will.

It's almost certainly going to be illegal to use in most of the western world... but hey, I am a moral black hole! They won't stop it happening :-)

The only thing I worry about with Bluray, is the need for me to wipe the dust off my screen in order to fully appreciate the additional clarity. I'm not too happy about that. Dusting and I do not make good bed fellows.
DVDs became pretty big around 1999. libdvdcss, while technically illegal in many countries, is currently almost entirely ignored by the western world. Give it five years, and make sure whatever program is only used to play the file and not to rip the whole thing on a harddrive, and I'm guessing there won't be any problem.
Maybe the Video industries someday get brought to his senses and just sell content instead of little software-prisons. I guess it won't happen in my lifetime. Tough... still hoping.
Having read this thread, there is something I still don't understand...

I perfectly understand that the XMBC dev team or any other Open Source developer will be reluctant to write something that can DECRYPT bluray discs on the fly (as libdvdcss does with DVD) purely because you really have to use stolen security keys etc. to accomplish this. Fine, it would also seem not entirely right to myself (apart from my feeling towards those "software prisons").

But even if you can not DECRYPT on the fly, there still would be nothing illegal to parsing bluray-disk structures and -menu's that are already in an unencrypted form on a self-authored homevideo bluray disk or even in an .iso, right?

But unfortunately, XBMC (at least 9.11 stable) still does not do anything with ISO's or directory's containing blu-ray structures. I have to extract the iso first and go all the way down to the streams folder to start the .m2ts myself.... Even audio-track's are not recognized most of the times (their language and/or their format, eg. DTS-MA).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no Blue Ray Support Possible?1