XBMC on ATV, scraper problem with UPnP
Question 
Hi,

Spent the last few days attempting to get the scrapers working with items held on my mac mini which is running MediaTomb as my DNLA media server.

On the movie front it managed to pick up the details for only 2 movies. On the TV program front nothing at all.

Just for the 'hell of it' this morning, I enabled smb on the mac mini and removed the upnp sources on the XBMC, I then added a source for the TV programs using a smb connection this time and it all works!!

Anyone else running XBMC on an ATV with a upnp server and it's working or got problems or is this down to mediatomb?

I'd like to narrow it down to upnp/dnla or mediatomb. I'd really not want to have to run smb on the network just for this.

Or is this a bug with XBMC on the ATV working with DNLA?
upnp isn't meant to be used for file sharing. upnp is meant to be used for library sharing. i.e. metadata is to be provided by the server.
So, from your post I guess it won't matter which DNLA server I use, I'll have the same problem with all of them. Sad

I was looking at getting a hardware solution to replace the mac mini, but sounds like that won't work either :confused2: Which would see to defeat the whole object of a common media store.

So, question is then is there a server which will work with DNLA clients and XMBC so I get the metadata?

I can't see the point of having content shared round the house if my only options are (a) every client maintains it's own metadata for the content or (b) no client gets the info and I have to rely purely on the file names !
any server that provides the meta data will work in xbmc. the point is that the filenames shared over upnp is totally random so they won't work with our scanner code. nor will external subs or the likes btw. and forget about custom thumbs. you have to setup all of that server side.

imo upnp dlna is simply a hoax/crappy solution hyped by the industry.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on ATV, scraper problem with UPnP0