Worth using???
Hi

I´m using XBMC on my Xbox but its a bit slow Smile Now I have one old computer in my closet and I am wondering if its worth installing Linux and Xbmc on it..

The config is:
AMD64 3500+ Singel Core
1Gb Memory
250Gb HD
Geforce 7900
DVD Burner

Will it work?? Except from playing HD stuff of corse..
LoonQ Wrote:Hi

I´m using XBMC on my Xbox but its a bit slow Smile Now I have one old computer in my closet and I am wondering if its worth installing Linux and Xbmc on it..

The config is:
AMD64 3500+ Singel Core
1Gb Memory
250Gb HD
Geforce 7900
DVD Burner

Should be fine, but wait until a 9500 goes on sale for $30 and toss it in there for the HD.
So.. adding a GF9500 (at the moment = 50€) and maybe some memory will make HD work to??Smile

I was only hoping to run same thing as on the Xbox but without the freezes.. and maybe some of the new skins...
Assuming you use Linux, yes.

Given that you want to only run the same stuff as you currently do on Xbox, I suggest trying it out before you go and splash out on new hardware.

1Gb of memory is plenty.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ok, thx Smile
Does HD work with any GF9500 regardless of model and memory??
XBMC Running on:
AMD 3500+, 2GB, 250Gb Hd, GF7900GS, Ubuntu 9.11, 1080p Samsung LCD Tv
Xbox 1.4, SmartXX OPX SE, 110Gb Hd, Component cable
LoonQ Wrote:Does HD work with any GF9500 regardless of model and memory??

yes, I have a NVS290 (8400GS equivalent, older than the 9500) with 256MB and it does hardware accelerated HD fine, but I would suggest a Nvidia Geforce 210, the 9 series is last generation technology and the 210 is cheap too!

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodde...od_no=1923
LoonQ Wrote:Hi

The config is:
AMD64 3500+ Singel Core
1Gb Memory
250Gb HD
Geforce 7900
DVD Burner

Let me know how it goes, I have a similar old rig in my closet just missing a PSU I was thinking of doing the same with. It only has a 3200+ though but does have a pretty decent vid card (512mb)
Yes I will keep posting in this thread..

Everything seems to work fine with current hardware... except 1080p .mkv

I'm still testing and fine tuning and it takes time (I have 4 kids so its only when they sleep I can do itSmile)

My plan is to upgrade the graphics for HD playback and I am also planning to buy a Antec Fusion Remote (My wife is not impressed having a regular computer in the livingroom but with a nice case I think she can accept it).

I guess the case is priority 1 and the graphics will come after...
XBMC Running on:
AMD 3500+, 2GB, 250Gb Hd, GF7900GS, Ubuntu 9.11, 1080p Samsung LCD Tv
Xbox 1.4, SmartXX OPX SE, 110Gb Hd, Component cable

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Worth using???0