Receiver audio "wake up"
I am still using my audiofile 24/96 and foobar to play flac or wave in a bit match or exact bit output . In my ears xbmc sound horrible, using the same TDA1541A DAC. By reading this I got the idée that it Is possible to get a bit match output at 44,1 KHz? Is that correct?

BTW my pioneer vsx2011 also needs 1 sec to start decoding losing the first half second of the first song
voyager2 Wrote:I am still using my audiofile 24/96 and foobar to play flac or wave in a bit match or exact bit output . In my ears xbmc sound horrible, using the same TDA1541A DAC. By reading this I got the idée that it Is possible to get a bit match output at 44,1 KHz? Is that correct?

BTW my pioneer vsx2011 also needs 1 sec to start decoding losing the first half second of the first song

Yes it is perfectly possible. If Alsa supports 44.k khz output for your card it is no problem.

I think you could try in terminal:

aplay -l

From the output, check which one is your digital device. Most cards have it on hw:0,1

After that try:
speaker-test -Dhw:0,1 -c2 -r48000
speaker-test -Dhw:0,1 -c2 -r44100
speaker-test -Dhw:0,1 -c2 -r96000

This way you can check which rates are supported by your card.

If it works you just have to set in xbmc instead of default and iec958 you have to set hw:0,1 for BOTH devices.

I think this way you always get the native sound out from your card whatever sample rate the music (or video ausio) uses.

Maíbe you do even have to kill pulseaudio. I am not sure. Maybe devs can answer that. I don't really know because i don't even have it installed.

I have to tell you that xbmc IS the perfect player if you want the best possible audio quality. For example with my nvidia hdmi motherboard i can play 192kgz, 24bits with 8 channels perfectly. Amazing sound quality. You just have to set everything right.

Just ask if you have more questions.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'm completely lost, which part in my .asoundrc is causing av receiver not to lose first half of a second when starting playback?

I ran Alsa info script and it reports that Nvidia MCP7A only supports sample rates 48000 and 88200, so sample rate conversion must be happening anyways at some point for 44.1khz material, event without my .asoundrc, right?

I tried adding defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate_best" to .asoundrc but it broke audio completely :p
bobo1on1 Wrote:Set up spdif as default output in .asoundrc and sdl should continuously send silent audio.

If that fails "aplay -c2 -r48000 -fS16_LE < /dev/zero" should do the job.

I get a click/pop sound everytime a video starts or stops. My .asoundrc contains 'pcm.!default spdif'. I take it that's correct since I'm using SPDIF optical out? I tried running you command above whike I was playing a movie and all sound died. I then stopped and restarted the movie and the sound was back, but so was the click/pop sound.

I'm running Live on an Asrock 330 using optical out to Logitech Z-5500 powere surround speakers.
Quote:I get a click/pop sound everytime a video starts or stops.

For me this is fixed if I use a .asoundrc similar to the one in post #7
I didn't try that for numerous reasons:

1. I don't understand any of the lines of that file so I wasn't sure if it would apply to my system usage. I notice that nowhere does it say SPDIF which is what I use.

2. There's mention that it may only apply for 2-channel audio

3. It says "Adjust pcm "hw:0,3" accordingly" and I have no idea what that means or how to set it correctly.

4. Someone mentioned the settings in that file would result in loss of sound quality.
Was there any sort of solution arrived at for fixing this issue?
Out of curiosity i decided to set my passthrough device to default, and behold, amp stays constantly on, even during passthrough & with multichannel dts/ac3 :confused2: There's still the initial very small gap when switching to passthrough mode, but when a video is opened and i skip back and forth, amp(?) doesn't do it's tricks anymore and try to decide what kind of audio it is receiving.
It isn't downmixing anything either, all the channels are there.
Quote:device to default

With you .asoundrc active? I dont know much about how it works, but will it not pick the default in that file which are pointed to dmixer?
Yes, with my .asoundrc from the first page. Now both output and passthrough are set to default (and using that .asoundrc, if i understood correctly). If i set passthrough to use "hdmi" the receiver starts to act funny.
I tried using the .asoundrc file shown in post #7 and I set both output and pass through to default, rebooted and nothing seemed to change. I can still hear the click of the amp turning off and on as videos start and stop.
I will try to put together a guide to set up audio the best possible ways, focusing on nvidia hdmi output, but might be good for other hardware too.

I will open up a new thread with this guide.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Quote:Yes, with my .asoundrc from the first page. Now both output and passthrough are set to default (and using that .asoundrc, if i understood correctly). If i set passthrough to use "hdmi" the receiver starts to act funny.

Quote:I tried using the .asoundrc file shown in post #7 and I set both output and pass through to default, rebooted and nothing seemed to change. I can still hear the click of the amp turning off and on as videos start and stop.

Ok, I used a similar .asoundrc file with spdif and it seem to fix the clicking.
I put dmixer in the sound settings but this will be the same as default I believe.
With hdmi I do not have the same problem but that could be because the hdmi went to the TV (new) and the spdif to an old NAD amp

EDIT: If I remember correctly 0:3 is hdmi on asrock ion 330?
if spdif does not work try change to 0:1
I did change it to hw:0,1. I'll try changing the sound settings to dmixer instead of default.
It doesn't fix the clicking/popping sound for me either, it just helps av receiver to play nicely with XBMC. I've always had that popping sound with different distributions, XBMC & alsa versions, av receivers and connector types (spdif/hdmi).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Receiver audio "wake up"0