Horror story for your night
Today started off as a good day. I got invited to a microsoft IT conference today for windows 7, and one of the take aways was a free copy of 7 ultimate....Highlight of my day.

Later, I get home, and I'm using Ember Media manager to delete a movie from my library, and think all is good. Then i notice my mapped drive in windows is showing 1.6TB free on my movie drive, instead of the 690GB that it was at before....go to investigate, and lo-and-behold....all my movies are gone...all 174 of them. I tried a few undelete utilities (Drive is a 4x 1TB RAID0 NAS array) and nothing worked. so I'm back to downloading everything again. Fortunately I have about 50 some odd movies on my mothers HTPC and elsewhere on my machines, but I'll have to retrieve about 120 more that I don't have. DEFINITELY not the highlight of my day.

Moral of the story, either backup, or BE CAREFUL....or you could loose 900GB of data in about 10 seconds, just like I did. That and not everything that happens to you is going to be good Sad
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Not to rub salt in your wounds but...

Raid0 x 4 for data storage? Really?

It seems the only people who use Raid0 are the ones who don't have a horror story yet.

Sorry about your data, but maybe it'll lead to safer practices Smile

TheUni
theuni Wrote:Not to rub salt in your wounds but...

It seems the only people who use Raid0 are the ones who don't have a horror story yet.

TheUni

Originally I went with RAID 5, but I'm using Freenas, with a 3ware raid card...I spent about 3 days tweaking and playing with settings, stripe size, everything I could, and the performance I was getting across the network was dismal....maybe 20-30MB/sec across my GB connection...hardly even close to the performance of one drive, let alone 4.

After much thought, I finally tried Raid 0, and yes I know theres no security if one drive fails, but it's only movies and tv shows, nothing CRITICAL that i couldn't bear to loose, so I accept the fact i may loose everything. The performance with the RAID0 array is around 50-60MB/sec, definately better for me. the only real safety i have on this setup is that it's connected to a battery backup system in case the power goes out.

I have plans of moving to an 8 drive RAID 5 array in about 3 months, after which the 4 drives willl be repurposed into a WHS box....until then, I think they should last.

I can't figure out why ember wiped everything, I'm pretty sure it was just a fluke, but I am CERTAIN i only clicked on one movie and hit remove from library.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
@Evanrich

So it was a failure of Ember Media manager, right?
theuni Wrote:Not to rub salt in your wounds but...

TheUni

Bob___ Wrote:@Evanrich

So it was a failure of Ember Media manager, right?

It would appear so... like i said, all i did was right click, hit remove..confirm remove on one movie, and then poof....all my tv shows are still there (different share) but every movie is gone.
"so I'm back to downloading everything again." - and of course you own these movies and your just collecting backups Wink
Geeba Wrote:"so I'm back to downloading everything again." - and of course you own these movies and your just collecting backups Wink

actually most of them I do, but It would take me FOREVER to rip the bluray/hddvds i have, and i've got about 200 DVD's....but I'm opting for the slightly...higher quality version Smile
Evanrich Wrote:It would appear so... like i said, all i did was right click, hit remove..confirm remove on one movie, and then poof....all my tv shows are still there (different share) but every movie is gone.

I had the same experience with it, I remember though I thought I was removing one film that I didn't recognise, or thought it was a corrupt title in Embers movie list. Then I noticed much more spare capacity on that drive, and yes all my films were gone. I used 'Get Data back' and recovered them all, I was lucky to notice quickly and the drive was not written to again until after I recovered everything

I suppose here is not the right place to be talking about Ember though. Actually I blamed myself for deleting something I didn't really recognise, but I didn't think it would wipe all my films in one go!
ASUS M4A785D-M Pro
AMD Phenom II X2 550, (unleashed 4 cores @ 3.2Ghz)
4GB RAM.
ATI Sapphire HD4850 512Mb.
Windows 7 64bit Enterprise Edition.

All media is served over Gigabyte LAN.
Evanrich Wrote:actually most of them I do

Mmhmm..I am a member of hdme.eu as well, originally read your story on there. Laugh

I am planning on backing up my 6 Mybook TB's all to internal drives, then safely tucking the internals away somewhere in the event that one of the MyBooks fails(which is only a matter of time I suppose).

I played around with the idea of a RAID 5 array for a while - but figured for a few hundred more I could have exact 1-1 copies of everything, which would make it ALOT easier to recover from a data loss.

Sad to hear about your "horror" story - with about 750 HD movies in my collection I have trouble sleeping some nights. Smile
theuni Wrote:Raid0 x 4 for data storage? Really?

Indeed this is a scary proposition that will no-doubt end in tears one day :p
Albert Einstein Wrote:Never memorize what you can look up in books.

Photos that I've taken since I've had a digital camera, in addition to a few thousand scanned photos since my parents met, are in no less than 4 locations. My MacBookPro. My main drive on my server. Second drive on my server. My Host and a hard drive I take to work.

Movies, Music, and such all exist in one place. With AstraWeb I can have any movie I want in 10 minutes or so.

I don't yet do any 'Raid'. But my next home setup is going to be a RaidZ. Once I get a new OpenSolaris compatible Mobo.
i feel your pain i went through a similar situation a like 5 years ago i had 15 gb of priceless pictures deleted because my hdd failed, it was horrible. but i got lucky because 3 years after the nightmare my brother was moving to a bigger place and he found a backup of my hdd safely tucked away in bubble wrap in his attic.

point i am trying to make is if you have a data that is priceless, best bet is to back it up and have someone you trust keep it safe for you.
This is also useful if (GOD Forbid this happens to anyone) your house gets on fire or some other catastrophe happens they will have it for you.

PS PLEASE PLEASE, Dont be a J@ck@$$ and give a backup of your important data to someone you dont trust make sure they can be trusted
I feel your pain greatly. . . right now.
Being an idiot, I deleted the wrong folder while I was on the phone (I can't multitask for the life of me) and lost 70 hd movies this morning (all the newest ones I got). Recovery software wasn't able to recover anything but smaller files (such as .nfo's and covers, etc.)
I'm pretty pissed at myself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Horror story for your night0