cant transfer large files over wifi
hi,
this is more linux problem than xbmc but maybe someone knows.
i have Ubuntu 9.04+xbmc installed a few days ago.
everything is going well and i'm conecting wireless to a windows computer for HD movies.
i can see the shared folders on the win computer but when i copy a large file it's always get stuck at around 500MB and i have to restart ubuntu to renew the netwrok connection.
is there a solution for this?
smaller files goes through without a problem.

thanks.
A debug log will likely tell you exactly what's happening. See the following thread for details:

Sticky: [LINUX] HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner
but its not an xbmc bug. the application is not even open. i asked here because a lot of people are runing on the same setup as i am and maybe someone knows Smile
So, if I understand your situation correctly, this isn't a problem with XBMC?
orenmi Wrote:but its not an xbmc bug. the application is not even open. i asked here because a lot of people are runing on the same setup as i am and maybe someone knows Smile

this might be a more appropriate place to ask your Ubuntu questions: http://ubuntuforums.org/

fyi, I also connect my xbmc box wirelessly. I run dd-wrt on my router, so I have a bit more options when it comes to configuring the wireless connection. I found I had to do a lot of tweaking to get a reliable signal with high throughput. Either way, its probably a signal quality issue. I'd look into that first.
@orenmi
Not sure if this is related, but I just had a similar problem with SMB from within XBMC - large files would stop playing part way through, but smaller files had no problem.

I was able to solve the problem by mounting the SMB shared drives on my XBMC box (an Acer Revo running minimal Ubuntu). The easy to follow mounting instructions are here at the Ubuntu forums.

Hope this helps.
SunTseTong Wrote:@orenmi
Not sure if this is related, but I just had a similar problem with SMB from within XBMC - large files would stop playing part way through, but smaller files had no problem.

I was able to solve the problem by mounting the SMB shared drives on my XBMC box (an Acer Revo running minimal Ubuntu). The easy to follow mounting instructions are here at the Ubuntu forums.

Hope this helps.

i dont understand why everything in linux has to be so complicated...
orenmi Wrote:i dont understand why everything in linux has to be so complicated...

It's just different. You're using a microsoft developed protocol to transfer your files - what do you expect?

Try setting up an NFS share to another *nix machine and make the same test.
orenmi Wrote:i dont understand why everything in linux has to be so complicated...

The instructions I linked to were quite simple to follow. I am new to linux and even I could follow the instructions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cant transfer large files over wifi0