[Linux] Audio only functionality for in-wall touch screen pc
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could comment on the ability to rebuild (configure?) XBMC without the video aspect?

The reason for this is the following "vision":

Looking to use XBMC as a front end to play music in a selected room, selecting the audio tracks as required via the interface via a touch screen pc mounted into a wall. The hardware running XBMC would be something similar to this - http://www.advantech.net.au/products/PPC...BAAP8.aspx - manual here: http://origindownload.advantech.com//Dow...091120.pdf

I have also thought about using "Jack PC" (http://www.chippc.com/support/downloads/...1_Spec.pdf), however these are ARM based so that would require some recompiling, although there has been work as I have noticed using the BeagleBoard but again, video playback is not required. The nice thing about these however they are POE based thus truely low power / heat output but would require some custom touch screen rig to get that up and running - but unsure on compiling XBMC for ARM without having a specific development hardware platform to do so.

Any idea's / comments on the vision / capability of doing what I am thinking of doing with XBMC?
Last I tried building without the video player (from a sourcecode perspective) it did not work well, needs to have some more ifdefs and such iirc.

Although you could build a skin that can't start the dvdplayer, then it would still be without the video aspect. This is the best approach IMHO.

I guess that you still want to have the XBMC gui right? I've been able to yank out the paplayer and compile it with a Qt interface (although most of the XBMC core still needs to be active, i.e. the userdata and settings and all that). however this is nothing that couldn't be moved out aswell, I mostly lost interest since spotify covers most of my music listening now and banshee have gotten darn good in the latest versions (I was planning on making paplayer as a standalone player since the competition on linux wasn't to my liking).

Hope this answers some of your questions
Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Tobias,

Thanks - sounds like skinning is the best solution then. Spotify isnt available in AU, banshee looks interesting, however as I have my HTPC using XBMC (major WAF factor) using it for the next project seemed just right.

If anyone else has done anything similar would love to hear about their experieces / hardware used as well since there are a lot of options in the lcd panel pc hardware space.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Audio only functionality for in-wall touch screen pc0