Network Install?
Is it possible to install XBMC on my NAS and have all the XBMC "players" maintain a central library and configuration options on the NAS?

So, if the library on one "player" is updated to reflect additional material it doesn't have to be done on every other player?
XBMC doesn't really use a backend/frontend design in the sense that you have a server that serves out video to players. Its a complete package.

There may be other ways to make sure libraries are sync'ed up though.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Hey, I have a similar question. Would be possible to get a NAS device (with Linux as underlying OS) and install XBMC on it?
Off course, would need to be some sort of NAS with SVIDEO or HDMI output so I can connect it to the TV... does such thing exists?

I really dont want to spend money in a NAS, plus a PC to have the XBMC running, so would be sweet if I can integrate both services in just one device.
You can do all that, just buy a computer and throw a ton of drives in it.

XBMC, for right now, needs an x86 compatible machine, so your NAS boxes and other media players will not run it.

There's nothing to stop you from serving out files from that machine and watch media through it too. Though, the big reasons that sort of stuff is seperated are noise, heat and computer case size issues.

If you don't want to put a computer in the area you want to watch media, might I suggest some other player like perhaps a popcorn hour or other dedicated media player.
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
would it be possible to just store the library in a remote location?

edit: looks like someone's already done something about the library thing - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56565
I myself have two machines:
1. My main desktop where I store all my media, and do my main computer tasks
2. My HTPC which sits in the living room.

I made network drives in Windows on my HTPC point to shared folders on my desktop. So XBMC, all I have to do is create sources which are connected to those network drives.

No media is stored on my HTPC, just the XMBC database for storing the library information. I can get away with a 60GB ssd for silent operation in HTPC.

Is that what you mean?

XBMC supports a bunch of different ways to get at media, you should really look that the wiki as its explained there in more detail.
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
Any info on keeping librarys synced or using one central library would be great
Did some searching today and found that Microsoft has a 'Sync Toy' that you can use to setup a backup to a network drive. I set mine up to backup the database folder on every startup to a network NAS, and have my secondary xbmc setup using the sync toy grabbing that folder and overwriting the local copy on startup.

Seems not work not too badly, and the sync toy can be run from the command line, so it's easy to create a shortcut and use all the switches you want (ie: only backup data that's changed since the current backup amongst others).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network Install?0