codec container makes it laggy?
hey all, i have a general question regarding mp4 vs mkv containers.
i have noticed that i can not stream anything in an mp4 container across my home network. at first i thought it was just the 264 codec that was causing the problem, but i re encoded a few things and the only thing different is the container. audio and video option are all otherwise identical.

the mkv files stream no problem while the mp4 files choke lag and generally cause my live install to crash should i ever pause one of them (no, not the return from pause audio problem, it just...... hangs... forever).
I also noticed that when i set it to debug, i notice that the CPU reports about 50% usage on an MP4 vs around 15-20% on the mkv's...

anyway, its not a real problem i guess since the fix in my case is simply re encode everything to mkv. but im wondering if this is unusual or not and why and i have not really found much on this by searching (everything i have found so far is people having the exact opposite problems as i am)

/edit
sorry if this really belongs elsewhere, please do move it if thats the case.
Going to chime in myself and say that I'm having a similar problem, but with a twist.

I'm trying to stream an MP4 video podcast across the Internet (actually using FTP - long story) and playback is painfully slow with recent builds of XBMC. The file I'm trying to playback is around 175MB and it almost seems as though it's trying to buffer the entire file once every minute (because I'm streaming from an FTP server over the Internet, this means approximately a 5 minute delay for every 1 minute of playback).

This happens under XBMC 9.04.1 under both Windows and Mac OS (PPC). I have an Xbox running XBMC pre-2.1 (Compiled Oct 6/08) and I don't experience this issue streaming the same file from the same source.

Also, playing back other files from this same FTP server (mainly AVI files) works perfectly on all three machines.

Any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
codec container makes it laggy?0