• 11(current)
[AppleTV] Launcher 3.2 testing
davilla Wrote:Apple updates will always replace the contents of OSBoot, that's where wget would live if installed by a patchstick. wget never existed on a default AppleTV install, a patchstick would install it. ATV Flash does not seem to install wget, silly of them. wget and more fun tools can be found at

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/...s/binutils

get binutils.tar.gz, copy it to the AppleTV, unpackit (use tar) and copy (using sudo cp) to /usr/bin/

top will need a "sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/top" to fix it up.

I can unzip the file to binutils.tar without problem. However tar -xf binutils.tar returns:

tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type

Stuffit does not recognize the file either. I have downloaded the file multiple times with the same result. I would appreciate a tip on unpacking the file and/or a link to another copy. Thanks.
dshutt Wrote:I can unzip the file to binutils.tar without problem. However tar -xf binutils.tar returns:

tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type

Stuffit does not recognize the file either. I have downloaded the file multiple times with the same result. I would appreciate a tip on unpacking the file and/or a link to another copy. Thanks.

tar -xzf binutils.tar.gz
davilla Wrote:tar -xzf binutils.tar.gz

Did that ... same exact message. Anything else to try?
dshutt Wrote:Did that ... same exact message. Anything else to try?

Skunkworks:binutils davilla$ ls -l
total 1152
-rw-r--r-- 1 davilla davilla 585295 Nov 21 21:38 binutils.tar.gz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 davilla davilla 539 Dec 14 2008 install.sh

the google code site matches what I have BUT when I wget the file from the google code problem, it's too small and corrupted.

svn export http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ atvusb-creator-read-only

then pull it from the local copy.
fastscirocco Wrote:The instructions seemed perfectly clear to me but as I see others are getting confused this noob will try to clarify for others what to do.

Step 1. If you have not let your Apple TV update to 3.0 and want to try it you need to turn the updates back on and let it update. If you did a factory restore you need to have it update to 3.0, or if you are already at 3.0 read on.

Step 2. After it has updated to 3.0 apply your patchstick as normal, this is done to get SSH capability back.

Step 3. Log into your Apple TV via SSH using a tool like putty.exe, download link is here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtat...nload.html

Step 4. Then type (no quotes) "wget http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/858897/XBMC/L...-debug.run"

Step 5. Then type (no quotes)"chmod +x Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run"

Step 6. Then type (no quotes)"./Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run" and enter the appropriate password (like it says, usually "frontrow") and answer "y" when it asks to restart the finder.

Go back to your ATV now, there should be a "Launcher" option. Download XBMC and install as usual. At this time it does not fix Boxee.

However DO NOT update Launcher as it will install version 3.1 and you will lose the "Launcher" options...yeah I learned that the hard way! ;-)

ahhh thank you so much Smile tried tons and nothing worked until your post Smile thanks for thinking of us noobs Smile
3.2.1 all good here,

update atv to 3.0.1 > Launcher to beta3 > Launcher to 3.2.1

xbmc load, plays fine
I was on the alpha version of Launcher 3.2 and I mistakenly tried to update to 3.1 from the launcher menu(I remembered right after I clicked it). Poof, bye-bye Launcher menu. I used the steps from fastscirocco to reload the Launcher program but I had to alter them a bit because the Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run link didn't work for me. Here's the link for the 3.2 beta 3 version. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/858897/XBMC/L...-debug.run
Hey, guys -

I went through the whole thread but it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem. My Apple TV self-updated to 3.0.1 this morning. I patchsticked my Apple TV and then used putty to ssh into it. No problem. Downloaded beta3 version of Launcher 3.2 and then chmod'd it to +x. The problem is, when I try to execute the file, I get the following:

-bash-2.05b$ ./Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run
./Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run: line 1: Deprecated.: command not found
-bash-2.05b$

Can't figure out what the problem is. Any guidance?? Sad

EDIT: Duh, never mind. I actually opened up the file to see what the problem was and saw the message that 3.2.1 is available. Sorry!
savoirfaire Wrote:Hey, guys -

I went through the whole thread but it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem. My Apple TV self-updated to 3.0.1 this morning. I patchsticked my Apple TV and then used putty to ssh into it. No problem. Downloaded beta3 version of Launcher 3.2 and then chmod'd it to +x. The problem is, when I try to execute the file, I get the following:

-bash-2.05b$ ./Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run
./Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run: line 1: Deprecated.: command not found
-bash-2.05b$

Can't figure out what the problem is. Any guidance?? Sad

EDIT: Duh, never mind. I actually opened up the file to see what the problem was and saw the message that 3.2.1 is available. Sorry!

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem and its driving me nuts. Can you let me know where I'm going wrong?

Thanks
tegalus Wrote:Hi, I'm having the exact same problem and its driving me nuts. Can you let me know where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

The beta releases are outdated and were replaced by a text file.
Check Launcher's download site for the 3.2.1 release.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The only reason it says Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run.1 is because i ran the wget twice and it downloaded the launcher file two times into the same folder. So, using cyberduck to access my Atv as well to see whats going on i erased the duplicate ( Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run.1) file, leaving the Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run file (which was already there). So the commands were correct and i should have copied/pasted the appropriate info from terminal into that original post.
rmhome Wrote:The only reason it says Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run.1 is because i ran the wget twice and it downloaded the launcher file two times into the same folder. So, using cyberduck to access my Atv as well to see whats going on i erased the duplicate ( Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run.1) file, leaving the Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run file (which was already there). So the commands were correct and i should have copied/pasted the appropriate info from terminal into that original post.

Allow me to apply the cluestick, post #160 says those links are expired and you should get the new link from the atv launcher site. Here, let me save you from going there.

http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/...-debug.run
Ah..... right..... Got it. (Attempt to not look like a new XBMC poster-------failed)

Thanks for the link.... Im up and good to go.... much appreciated.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Launcher 3.2 testing0