"Remote control sends keyboard presses" vs. <navigatevirtualkeybord>
dear devs (especially jonathan),

i was very happy once someone introduced the <navigatevirtualkeyboard> setting into as.xml. nowadays the tag is gone, and a setting is in the gui instead "Remote control sends keyboard presses". So far, so good, but that one doesn't behave like the old tag setting.

an example:

given situation: scraping for a movie that doesn't exist, so the virtual keyboard comes up, asking you to type in the movie name.

1. old behaviour: <navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard> in as.xml

i am able to either use my standard keyboard to delete the current name and type in a new one, or browse with the arrow keys in the virtual keyboard. additionally i could use my remote for the task, using the assigned arrow buttons and the ok button.

2. new behaviour: "Remote control sends keyboard presses" ACTIVE:

i can remove the existing name with my standard keyboard, but i am NOT able to use my standard keyboard to type in a new name. i can NOT move around in the virtual keyboard with my standard keyboard. ALL has to be done with the remote here.

3. new behaviour: "Remote control sends keyboard presses" DEACTIVATED:

i am able to use my standard keyboard to move in the text field, remove the given name and type in a new one. i am NOT able to move around in the virtual keyboard at all, neither with standard keyboard nor with the remote.

(old behaviour tested with 22516, new one with 24001)

summary: please bring back the old behaviour Wink
cheers,azido :;):
Old behaviour was arse, as it didn't give the opportunity for smarter remapping, such as using SMS style input. New behaviour is arse as you point out Wink

Compromise time!

There's no way to tell whether the input comes from the remote or the keyboard, so my thinking is the following:

Use the keymapping to define the action, and if a mapping exists, and that mapping is one of the following, then do that mapping directly:
* Navigation actions.
* Select/backspace actions.
* SMS input actions.
Otherwise, send the keycode directly to the virtual keyboard for input purposes.

I think that would do the trick?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

r24169 should be a bit better I think - test it out and see what you think.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:r24169 should be a bit better I think - test it out and see what you think.

Cheers,
Jonathan

reading your changes it looks like being the best compromise we can have. cheers for that.

still wonder what triggers the fallback and if it stays there then. i mean, if i type in "equilibrium" - assuming M is mapped to a function in keyboard.xml - will it just type or execute the mapping?

another time for asking myself if i should gather the skills of doing my own build or wait until someone does it Wink
If m is mapped to one of the actions I singled out there (navigation or keyboard-specific stuff) then it'll do that mapping.

If it's mapped to anything else, you'll just get your "m".

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:If m is mapped to one of the actions I singled out there (navigation or keyboard-specific stuff) then it'll do that mapping.

If it's mapped to anything else, you'll just get your "m".

Cheers,
Jonathan

to also give a positive feedback instead of my all-time-moaning:

the new improved option now works as it was used to do with the as.xml entry before. thanks for the changes.
Thanks - glad it works Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Remote control sends keyboard presses" vs. <navigatevirtualkeybord>0