[Live] Streaming from Windows 7 SMB shares freezes and kills NIC
I had a recurring problem with my Xbox-based XBMC, where my SMB shares from Windows 7 (that had worked perfectly fine under XP) died partway through any video file, and took the NIC out with it.

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60148

The reason I am posting here is because I dusted off an old server, installed XBMCLive to the hard disk, and tested from there. The freezing and NIC killing happened exactly the same as with the Xbox version.

I'm hoping that since this problem is also showing up on XBMCLive, that someone here might be able to provide more insight into any possible solutions.

All of the information is in the thread I linked above.

Thanks very much.
XBMCbuntu 11 (Eden)
Acer AspireRevo 1600
this happened just the same to me when i updated my atheros driver from windows update, but the only way to solve it was to roll back to the older driver... i think the problem is related to the driver, not to xbmc... have you got the same network interface under win7?
My network driver (also Atheros - integrated mobo NIC) may be the cause of it, then. I'll check the drivers. In the meantime, I'm sidestepping the SMB issue by serving via FTP and that's working out fine (once I ironed out some firewall issues).
XBMCbuntu 11 (Eden)
Acer AspireRevo 1600
I am having the same issue except I am trying to stream the files from a mac. I posted that here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61478

The ftp work around seems to be working though! Good Find! Ftp seems to be a lot quicker to forward chapters with as well.
ping localhost did you ever fix your problem? I'm having the same problem.
have the same problem: Win 7 on Fileserver and Win 7+xbmc/mpc-hc as player. The movies begin to stutter after 3 seconds. Have this problem since a few days. Download and upload rate over smb is around 50mb/sec....but can´t I stream a movie?!
I'm also having the same problem. However from the info above I think my problem is related to the Atheros network adapter, which I remember recently upgrading in Windows Update. I will either try rolling back, or might even look at putting in a FTP server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Streaming from Windows 7 SMB shares freezes and kills NIC0