[AppleTV] Play PAL Videos at NTSC Framerate w/Synch Playback to Display?
Hello. I'm a new user of XBMC on AppleTV. I'm a longtime user of XBMC on Xbox. I was using XBMC on AppleTV briefly about a year ago when it was first released. One of my favorite features of XBMC on Xbox is the ability to play 25fps PAL videos at 23.976fps NTSC speed. A year ago, this was not yet possible with "DVDPlayer" on the AppleTV.

I'm using XBMC r24183 and I see the option Synch Playback to Display. From what I've read in the Wiki, it seems like this would have the same effect as the old Play PAL Videos at NTSC Framerate option if I choose Video Clock (Resample Audio) as the A/V Sync Method. I've tried all three Sync Methods, but when I play a PAL MPG and pull up CodecInfo, it always displays 50fps. I've tried also enabling Adjust Refresh Rate, but this doesn't seem to affect it.

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of this feature? Is there currently a way to play 25fps PAL videos at 23.976fps NTSC speed?

Hmmm, is it possible that with Video Clock (Resample Audio) the playback speed is being corrected from 25fps to 23.976fps, but the audio isn't being pitch corrected lower?
KevinSartori Wrote:Hello. I'm a new user of XBMC on AppleTV. I'm a longtime user of XBMC on Xbox. I was using XBMC on AppleTV briefly about a year ago when it was first released. One of my favorite features of XBMC on Xbox is the ability to play 25fps PAL videos at 23.976fps NTSC speed. A year ago, this was not yet possible with "DVDPlayer" on the AppleTV.

I'm using XBMC r24183 and I see the option Synch Playback to Display. From what I've read in the Wiki, it seems like this would have the same effect as the old Play PAL Videos at NTSC Framerate option if I choose Video Clock (Resample Audio) as the A/V Sync Method. I've tried all three Sync Methods, but when I play a PAL MPG and pull up CodecInfo, it always displays 50fps. I've tried also enabling Adjust Refresh Rate, but this doesn't seem to affect it.

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of this feature? Is there currently a way to play 25fps PAL videos at 23.976fps NTSC speed?

Hmmm, is it possible that with Video Clock (Resample Audio) the playback speed is being corrected from 25fps to 23.976fps, but the audio isn't being pitch corrected lower?

Aside from the display info saying 50fps, how do they look when they play ? That's the important issue.
Well, they look okay whether I have the Synch Playback to Display option enabled or disabled, but PAL movies still sound pitched either way, that's why it occurred to me at the end of my post that maybe playback speed is being corrected, but not the audio pitch. I understand that many folks that are "used" to PAL playback don't notice the slightly sped up voices during playback, but I notice it and it bugs me. With XBMC on Xbox, the Play PAL Videos at NTSC Framerate option "slowed down" the video and audio playback.

Now I understand that if you have something shot in PAL, you wouldn't want playback correction, because then everyone's voice would be too deep from the slow-down. To my ears, this is particularly noticeable with music. For instance, when I would watch PAL episodes of Live at Abbey Road, I would disable the Play PAL Videos at NTSC Framerate option to keep playback at the "correct" PAL speed.
Right now there's only one way to do this:
  • Disable adjust refreshrate.
  • Enable sync playback to display.
  • Set synctype to resample.
  • Disable passthrough.
  • Manually set the refreshrate to a multiple of 24 hertz.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Play PAL Videos at NTSC Framerate w/Synch Playback to Display?0