XBMCLive (Error 2: Share not available)
Changing the workgroup did nothing for me..

I edited the sources.xml to send the user/passwd on every share, and that seemes to improve the situation.. however, the error still pops out from time to time.
Now i just have to click ok on the dialog, and i can connect to the share, but thats not good enough in my book Undecided
Had the exact problem after upgrading to karmic and xbmc 9.11 (not live). Suddenly my win7 (64bit) shares didn't show up and xbmc told me I had no network connection.

My win7 box is a clean install with only utorrent and a ftp-server as extra software.
If I reboot the win7box and my htpc with xbmc it works for a while. But suddenly no network connection.

Tried the smb2 reg fix(search for it), didn't work. Tried to do every step in the "How to setup win 7 shares for xbmc', didn't work.

Now it works, for now, and the last thing I did was to fix LAN manager authentication level.

Admin tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options - Network security: LAN Manager authentication level:

Set it to: Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

So far it seems to work. Just a tip.

If someone find a final solution it would be great.
Info / debug log for my Xbmc installs Error 2: Share not available problem, hope its of some use.

Revision: xbmc-9.11-live-repack
Architecture: Clean install
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: Go to anywhere in XBMC that will allow you to map an SMB network share, e.g. the file manager, try to add a share, then select browse and the Error 2: Share not available is thrown up.
Debug log up for the smb problems: http://pastebin.com/m678131e9
Same problem here on fresh live XBMC installation Sad
XBMC under windows works fine but if I boot to the live version I get Error 2 :....
There is 4 folders in this share all working fine except the largest volume (1.5TB) the other folders are smaller 20-60GB.

Anyone found solution to this ?

Thanks
Caligo Wrote:Ive got this error as well.
At random it will not connect to smb shares, and there seems to be some kind of delay causing an "Operation not permitted" error message. if i click the same share again it will work or get the "Error 2" message or just display an empty folder (without the ".." directory even)
This seems totally random at best.
The network is solid and ive never had any issues on other machines or other protocols, only SMB shares via latest Live installed on an ION machine.

Same here on ION (Revo 3610) XBM live - dual boot
XBMC under windows working fine
Anyone ?
This probably doesn't help but I've seen quite a few people that have SMB problems when it comes to media streaming find that its the "Windows Live Sign-In Assistant" that is the cause if its installed on your PC. Why exactly known one seems to know and its not limited to XBMC but affects others too like Popcornhour units.
Strange thing is that I can access all other folders in that share ( on my QNAP) except one ( the largest in size - 1.5TB)
Any update on this? I am having the exact same problem but on a minimal installation of Karmic running SVN 27017.

Anyone?
Drives me crazy ... I even re-installed but having the same problem Sad
I've examined the xbmc.log file and all it says is things like unable to open smb://username:passwd@pc/share. It says nothing useful. Seems like there is a problem with samba on karmic or we are missing some dependency for xbmc. For example, when installing xbmc for the first after a fresh install of karmic, I had to manually install curl so xbmc wouldn't crash on startup. This was never a problem under jaunty. I wonder what other dependencies I am missing.
I have the same (of slightly different) problem.
I have 4 partitions shared. Within xbmc I can only see and access 2 of them. Even editing the sources.xml file to the shared folder xbmc gives me the error message.
I did unshare them and reshared them in windows, booted windows and xbmc... but still I can't access those shares.
It's a pain! Sad
OK, I have been banging away on this all night/morning. I tried installing all kinds of packages (can't even remember them all) but still no luck. So I tried mounting the SMB share outside of XBMC and it worked. I could access all my content on the command line. So this is definately an XBMC or dependency issue. Since I can access my content by mounting the SMB share directly in karmic, I decided to just automount all my content at boot using fstab. It is very easy:

edit /etc/fstab
add the following line:

//host/share //folder/on/karmic/box cifs -o username=shareusername,password=sharepassword,uid=xbmc 0 0

Make sure you create your new folder in karmic before putting that into fstab. Also, I created my path as /home/xbmc/content/tv that way there should be no weird permission issues. Once you add the line and save the file, you can test the config by:

sudo mount -a

If you get no errors, then traverse to that folder and you should see your content. If you get errors, you likely will need to install smbfs or smbclient or smbmount. I'm not sure which is required as I installed a boat load of stuff trying to get it to work.

One thing I noticed is that access to my content is much faster. For example, using the traditional method of adding sources in XBMC (Add Network Location or Browse SMB), it would take 20 minutes to scan in my TV library and 40 minutes to scan in my Movie library. Last night, it only took 5 minutes to scan in my TV library and 7 minutes to scan in my Movie library.

Hope this helps.
As a side question:
If i automount the shares on boot, can i then put the entire xbmc directory on my NAS and start it locally?
could i then access the updated library from several machines using the same setup?

Kind of off topic, but that has been my holy grail of xbmc usage since forever. I think the devs have said it wont work several times.. Sad
nugentgl Wrote:OK, I have been banging away on this all night/morning. I tried installing all kinds of packages (can't even remember them all) but still no luck. So I tried mounting the SMB share outside of XBMC and it worked. I could access all my content on the command line. So this is definately an XBMC or dependency issue. Since I can access my content by mounting the SMB share directly in karmic, I decided to just automount all my content at boot using fstab. It is very easy:

edit /etc/fstab
add the following line:

//host/share //folder/on/karmic/box cifs -o username=shareusername,password=sharepassword,uid=xbmc 0 0

Make sure you create your new folder in karmic before putting that into fstab. Also, I created my path as /home/xbmc/content/tv that way there should be no weird permission issues. Once you add the line and save the file, you can test the config by:

sudo mount -a

If you get no errors, then traverse to that folder and you should see your content. If you get errors, you likely will need to install smbfs or smbclient or smbmount. I'm not sure which is required as I installed a boat load of stuff trying to get it to work.

One thing I noticed is that access to my content is much faster. For example, using the traditional method of adding sources in XBMC (Add Network Location or Browse SMB), it would take 20 minutes to scan in my TV library and 40 minutes to scan in my Movie library. Last night, it only took 5 minutes to scan in my TV library and 7 minutes to scan in my Movie library.

Hope this helps.

Good for you !
...unfortunatelly for Linux newbie it's no go
I have no idea where/how to do this
and I'm advanced+ windows user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLive (Error 2: Share not available)0