xbmc live - Dell Dimension 5000 no analog sound - ICH6 - Fixed
Hi,
Been a long time user of the original xbmc and having just upgraded to a new HD tv I thought I'd give xbmc live a spin on an old dell desktop as I'm thinking about buying a revo. It booted from the cd fine and I've even managed to install it on a usb key and everything was working except for the audio. Having looked around for a solution I found the onboard audio chipset was an ich6 :

00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

I then finally found that I needed to switch off "Exchange Front/Surround" within alsamixer to get the lineout to work. To do this run the command
-> alsamixer -c0
from the command line (i ssh'd in with xbmc\xbmc as the userid and password) and then scroll across to the right and the "Exchange Front/Surround" option is about 5th from the last one on the right. Toggle it on\off by pressing m. use the Esc key to exit.

If you have installed xbmc live to usb\hdd then to keep this setting on reboot issue the command
-> sudo alsactl store
and then edit the grub menu.lst config to remove the "setvolume" kernel parameter passed at boot. Use this command to edit the grub file:
-> sudo nano /.bootmaedia/boot/grub/menu.lst
*Remember to edit the line that you boot, for me it was the line that listed:
title XBMCLive - Intel GPU

Just go to the end of the line under that which shows:
kernel /vmlinuz initrd=initrd0.img boot=usb quiet splash xbmc=intel,nodiskmount,tempfs,setvolume loglevel=0
And you need to delete the ',setvolume' part (Thats all).

Once again, remember to edit the line that you boot from.

Thanks to plonka2000 on this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-51089.html for info on how to retain the alsamixer settings.

Cheers
Rob
hi there

I had the exact same problem you did. So naturally i tried fixing it the same way you did haha.

What i found was this...

when i ran alsamixer -c0 it used to say my card was the same as yours except ich5 instead of ich6.

I dissabled the "exchange front surround" and it didn't seem to work at first. so i rebooted the machine and tried playing a video and everything was fast forwarding. So i naturally went back to alsamixer to undo the change i made but found that now alsamixer calls my card a "Dell Soundblaster Live!" with a chipset "Sigmatel STAC9708,11" which makes sense because thats what i "thought" i had in the first place.

Fast forwarding through this a bit i now have sound, but everything is fast forwarded.

Any idea what i did wrong?

BTW, my setup is a dell Dimension 8300 with all the basic internal hardware dell uses and an upgraded XFS nVidia Gforce 7900GS video card and i am running xbmc Live! Babylon (9.04.1)
Okay never mind. Upon further investigation i realized i had changed the setting in xbmc from default to something someone else had suggested. i changed it back to default and all is good!

Thanks for your help!
I have the same problem also on a dell dimension 5000 but it seems the menu.lst isn't there anymore so what do I need to edit now
sry I'm kind of a linux noob
it seems to be grub.cfg but it I read about everywhere that I shouldn't edit it and that it will revert with the next update.
and I can't even find the setvolume line
edit editing alsamixer was actually enough and didn't revert after restart but I only managed to get the front port working.
edit2: it also stops working from time to time

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc live - Dell Dimension 5000 no analog sound - ICH6 - Fixed0