Some suggestions to improve song selection an playlist controlling
cewan Wrote:Compare to some other common players, Winamp for instance. If music is not playing (winamp is not running) and I press enter on a song in Windows Explorer, Winamp will fire up and play that song. However, if Winamp is already running and playing a song and I press enter on a song, it will be queued in the playlist.

I think many users are used to this sort of behaviour. For you it is not logical. For me, and a bunch of other users it is logical. This is why I vote for it being configurable. Just like it is in Winamp, where you can configure "Enqueue as default action".

i agree with this
jmarshall Wrote:Probably just the UI.

It would be great if it was for http aswell, it would be awesome with the iPhone control for parties.
Interesting thread ! I've had some issues during partys with the playlist
stuff. When peeps at a party scrolls trough my music collection they
are in 99% of the times looking for another song to play than the currently playing song.

So they have a look find the one they like and "hit enter" to play it. The perfect logic to me would be that this song started to play right away, then when its done it continues on the pre-defined playlist.

When at a party people dont scroll to the music to add "their" song to some playlist they have no concept of knowing. Smile If this was to be default behavior
it would suck. Like in the old days when you had a cd player and 40 cd's floating around, people looked trough the cd's, found one they liked and popped it in ! They didn't line it up in a " next to play line" lol.....
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
I absolutely disagree. I think of it more like a Jukebox, in which case people DO want their choice to queue up and play next, not replace the current song.

Either way, jmarshall's switch to select behaviour suits both camps doesn't it?
Thumbs Down 
The-Boxhead Wrote:Interesting thread ! I've had some issues during partys with the playlist
are in 99% of the times looking for another song to play than the currently playing song.

So they have a look find the one they like and "hit enter" to play it. The perfect logic to me would be that this song started to play right away, then when its done it continues on the pre-defined playlist.

When at a party people dont scroll to the music to add "their" song to some playlist they have no concept of knowing. Smile If this was to be default behavior
it would suck. Like in the old days when you had a cd player and 40 cd's floating around, people looked trough the cd's, found one they liked and popped it in ! They didn't line it up in a " next to play line" lol.....

I totally disagree, as well.
Then an option to either queue it up or play instantly.

You guys cant have been at many partys Smile nobody wants to queue their
choices Wink
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
The-Boxhead Wrote:Interesting thread ! I've had some issues during partys with the playlist

mostly disagree!Rolleyes
When everybody plays it favourite song instantly than the party is over because every song is played for just a few seconds and nobody is happy. But you are right, sometimes a song have to play directly because everybody wants this song now and not lately.
Another problem is that you dont see the playlist while you browsing and selecting new songs. A kind of splitscreen or a small area showing the last 5 songs of the playlist would be very comfortable.
And a cool feature would be if you see the playlist in your screensaver (maybe with some graphical effects Cool) Because when people see the playlist they know when there favourite song will be played and they are satisfied.
Regards
Jarny
Hardware:
1) PointOfView Intel Atom 330 Mainboard
2) Scenic-PC (2.9 GHz) with onboard Intel-Graphic 915g
Hi!

I've been reading this post, and I want to support those who think that the Music section needs to be modified, in order to make it more user friendly.

It has no sense to have the best media center in the world, if you need to spend hours learning how to use it, because then only few people will use it. And you don't have to do a lot of parties to experience this: my wife idoesn't like to use the music section, because she is not comfortable with it. So she doesn't use, and doesn't like me to use, so we don't use it. So my conclusion is that the BASIC functions should be as straightforward as possible, keeping the advanced functions, but in a second menu or selection place, in order to make the music section more popular/usable.

So, I don't want to tell a lot of things more about it, but for me, the "Enqueue as default action" is useful, but it should add a few options to the "Context menu":
- Enqueue next (Enqueue the song next, instead of at the end of the playlist)
- Enqueue All (Add all songs, folders, etc... of the current directory,listing,selection,...)

In addition, referring to the playlist, it would be a BIG thing that it would not be deleted between shutdowns. Let's say you set up a playlist with music you like, and it lasts 5 hours. You could play it, then leave home after 2 hours, and when you come back, continue playing it, without having to save/load, etc... this could be easily done by setting a "default" playlist, where the current playlist would be saved on exit, and restored every time you entered the program again. This would be one of the little things that could make the music section a lot more usable. Every music PC appilcation has that, isn't it? You would not conceive that when you exit winamp, and then opened it again, your playlist had gone.

Anyway... I still think that XBMC is one of the greatest Media center software I've seen, and I hope it continues improving the little things that lacks to make it the best, and not only "one of the greatest"

Keep up the great work! The latest stable release is awesome!

aLeX
Thumbs Up 
jmarshall Wrote:Then switch on the option I added in Alpha2/Beta1!

Thanks a million for this option. I have now been able to update my "party" xbox to the latest XBMC version Big Grin

Just to add my two cents, I like the option as it is now, its great, please keep it Nod. Maybe add a context menu option to "queue and play immediately" which would be useful so you could poke a song into the playlist at the currently playing point (which the very old approach I just replaced didnt do) and hence when the song finishes it continues with the playlist and the poked in song is also visible in the list. I expect the original song playing prior to the poke would not be returned to because you obviously skipped it for a reason Wink

I personally dont see this behaviour relates to the "normal" playlist builder, which actually I find quite usable, as party requests are "on the fly" activities in the same way as asking a DJ to play your fav song.

Anyway, as always your efforts are much appreciated, Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some suggestions to improve song selection an playlist controlling1