Minimal install of XBMC on Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10)
pfriederichs Wrote:What would need to be done to install XBMC Stable and not XBMC SVN? I am having way too many quirks and annoyances with 9.1 Alpha to actually use it on a daily basis (let alone my wife use it).

FYI my reasons for this vs just using Jaunty is that the modified PS3 bluez ppa's are currently only posted in Karmic format (I need my remote!).

I am by no means a Linux expert so I highly appreciate any help.

If I remember correctly there is not a stable version of XBMC for Karmic yet, babylon 9.04 does not work correctly with Karmic.

Even in the normal ppa:
Code:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/

It is the alpha version of XBMC for karmic.
pfriederichs Wrote:Not sure if its me or not but using Karmic min install this part of your tutorial did not work -- it would keep telling me polkid-auth didnt exist.

sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

Or you install the policykit package (sudo apt-get install policykit)
Does the polkit work with karmic & xbmc 9.11 alpha? I thought the power management was changed. Maybe I missunderstood.

Generally I think it is a better idea to use the autostart from live according the xbmcbuntu guide in the wiki. I think many people are using that setup which will make it easier to get support. Having said that, I think it does not work correctly in the alpha PPA so it is probably better to wait until it has been updated.
vikjon0 Wrote:Does the polkit work with karmic & xbmc 9.11 alpha? I thought the power management was changed. Maybe I missunderstood.

Generally I think it is a better idea to use the autostart from live according the xbmcbuntu guide in the wiki. I think many people are using that setup which will make it easier to get support. Having said that, I think it does not work correctly in the alpha PPA so it is probably better to wait until it has been updated.

I'm a noob, so I don't know. I only know I had the same problem and looked up what I needed. So I installed the policykit and everything works in my VMware image. I'm now installing it on my HTPC.
M@rtijn you will have to let me know how the install went and if everything is ok with your HTPC
Springy Wrote:M@rtijn you will have to let me know how the install went and if everything is ok with your HTPC

My installation wasn't successful yesterday. But that probably has something to do with my little Linux experience. I'll try again soon.

On the other I have my doubts about using an alpha version. Can I use your tutorial with Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC 9.10? Or is the XBMCbuntu tutorial better for that?
Thanks for a great tutorial, working great for me!

One thing is kinda broken: when i select shutdown from XBMC, it just closes XBMC and returns to shell (bash). How do i make it to actually shut down the computer? Other buttons like reset works...
M@rtijn Wrote:My installation wasn't successful yesterday. But that probably has something to do with my little Linux experience. I'll try again soon.

On the other I have my doubts about using an alpha version. Can I use your tutorial with Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC 9.10? Or is the XBMCbuntu tutorial better for that?

Yes you should be able to, if not let me know and I will investigate on how to make it work!

Iikoo, I have not actually tired to use the shutdown on my machine yet :S I will take a look at what mine does and get back to you.
Hi,
I've been using the XBMCbuntu how to, to come up with a fresh Karmic + xbmc 9.11 alpha.
I'm facing too many problems with xbmc to be usable.
I suspect my ATI proprietary drivers to be not enough stable.
I plan to reinstall from scratch with your tuto + ATI linux opendrivers.
I'll let U know the results.

Config is :
785G chipset (Radeon HD 4200)
2Gigas DDR3 1333
Athlon II x2 240
thx for the tutorial, i like that its not using pulse audio Smile
Can you add something about setting up lirc for controllers that are supported out of the box? (like MCE or XBOX dvdkit) lots of people are using that
Also are you able to suspend and wakeup from remote ? any extra steps to do that?
just my 5 cents to get your guide complete Smile
bonobo Wrote:Hi,
I've been using the XBMCbuntu how to, to come up with a fresh Karmic + xbmc 9.11 alpha.
I'm facing too many problems with xbmc to be usable.
I suspect my ATI proprietary drivers to be not enough stable.
I plan to reinstall from scratch with your tuto + ATI linux opendrivers.
I'll let U know the results.

Config is :
785G chipset (Radeon HD 4200)
2Gigas DDR3 1333
Athlon II x2 240
The ATI driver is bollocks. Linux works better with the nVidia one.
uomiarz Wrote:thx for the tutorial, i like that its not using pulse audio Smile
Can you add something about setting up lirc for controllers that are supported out of the box? (like MCE or XBOX dvdkit) lots of people are using that
Also are you able to suspend and wakeup from remote ? any extra steps to do that?
just my 5 cents to get your guide complete Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60127 covered in this thread.
jonassw Wrote:The ATI driver is bollocks. Linux works better with the nVidia one.

No need to remind to me I'm already disapointed Sad.
Springy Wrote:M@rtijn you will have to let me know how the install went and if everything is ok with your HTPC

It's the second time now the installation fails on my HTPC. X can't be started. I think it has something to do with my video driver. I installed it like they explain it in the XBMCbuntu wiki. I choosed this because I have a different Nvidia Chipset than you're using in your tutorial.

Can I install nvidia-glx-190 for my nVidia GeForce 9300 chipset (MSI P7NGM-Digital)?
M@rtijn Wrote:Can I install nvidia-glx-190 for my nVidia GeForce 9300 chipset (MSI P7NGM-Digital)?

That should be no problem at all.
ASRock ION 330, Lucid Lynx, XBMC Dharma (beta 2)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimal install of XBMC on Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10)2